CRYSTAL PALACE to FOREST HILL, and on to PECKHAM

CRYSTAL PALACE to FOREST HILL (HORNIMAN MUSEUM and GARDENS)

SYDENHAM

SYDENHAM WELLS PARK

SYDENHAM HILL WOOD and COX’S WALK

CAMILLE PISSARRO painted from HERE

Site of LORDSHIP LANE STATION

FOREST HILL

HORNIMAN MUSEUM and GARDENS 

Opened in 1901 and was designed by Charles Harrison Townsend in the Modern Style. It has displays of anthropology, natural history and musical instruments, and is known for its large collection of taxidermied animals, including the worlds first taxidermy of a walrusThe building is Grade II* listed.

The museum was founded in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman. Frederick had inherited his father's Horniman's Tea business, which by 1891 had become the world's biggest tea trading business.

The proceeds from the business allowed Horniman to indulge his lifelong passion for collecting, and which after travelling extensively had some 30,000 items in his various collections, covering natural history, cultural artefacts and musical instruments.

A 20 ft (6.1 m) totem pole, carved from red cedar, stands outside the museum's main entrance. It was carved in 1985 as part of the American Arts Festival by Nathan Jackson, a Tlingit native Alaskan.

On the London Road wall of the main building is a neoclassical mosaic mural entitled Humanity in the House of Circumstance, designed by Robert Anning Bell and assembled by a group of young women over the course of 210 days. Composed of more than 117,000 individual tesserae, it measures 10 ft × 32 ft (3.0 m × 9.8 m) and symbolises personal aspirations and limitations.

The museum is set in 16 acres (65,000 m2) of gardens, which include the following features:

  • A Grade II listed conservatory from 1894 which was moved from Hornimans' family house in Croydon to the present site in the 1980s.
  • A bandstand from 1912
  • An enclosure for small animals
  • A Butterfly House
  • A nature trail
  • An ornamental garden
  • Plants for materials, medicines, and foods and dyes
  • A sound garden with large musical instruments for playing
  • A new building, the Pavilion, for working on materials that are outside of the collections, such as from the gardens.

 

An alternative route to the HORNIMAN  MUSEUM

 RC CHURCH OF OF THE RESURRECTION

ST,ANTHOLIN CHURCH. WREN in SOUTH LONDON.  But only the spire 

Former Course of the SURREY CANAL 

In 1809, the Croydon Canal opened, however, the large number of locks (28) meant it was not a commercial success, and it was bought by the London & Croydon Railway Company who used the alignment to construct the London Bridge to Croydon railway line opening in 1839.

FOREST HILL railway station

DACRES WOOD NATURE RESERVE 

The ponds in the Dacres Wood Nature Reserve and the retaining wall of the footpath opposite the station outside The Signal pub are about the only physical evidence of the canal which still exist.

DIETRICH BONHOEFFER CHURCH, German Lutheran

The German Church Sydenham was founded in 1876 by wealthy German businessmen and craftsmen who moved out of the city of London to the quiet suburb of Forest Hill. Forest Hill, Sydenham and Crystal Palace housed one of the major German communities in London, composed mostly of wealthy merchants, with a sprinkling of musicians and artists.

During World War II the church building was destroyed by German bombs. In 1959, a new building was erected on the site which remains the centre point of our church community today, and the church was named after Dietrich Bonhoeffer  who  was the minister of the German congregation from 1933 to 1935

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was the minister of the German congregation from 1933 to 1935. The congregation feels a special responsibility to honour his spiritual and ethical legacy to this day.

After the MUSEUM and GARDENS 

Follow the route of the NATURE TRAIL (Northwards)

CAMBERWELL OLD CEMETERY

PECKHAM RYE PARK

The RIVER PECK

PECKHAM RYE COMMON

Welcome to PECKHAM