4. CLAPHAM COMMON and CLAPHAM PARK and on to BRIXTON WINDMILL

The COMMON

https://claphamcommon.info/clapham-common/history/

Clapham Common was once the waste land of the Manors of Clapham and Battersea. Here the villagers grazed their livestock and gathered brushwood for their fires, while the ponds supplied good drinking water. Rights over the western half were claimed by both the parishes of Clapham and Battersea, and in the 17th century, the parishes contested ownership with fisticuffs and lawsuits. The disputed boundary, running north to south across the Common, is the modern boundary between the Boroughs of Lambeth and Wandsworth.

83 hectares, 220 acres. Converted  to park land following the 1878 METROPOLITAN COMMONS ACT.  Cricket, football and other sports . Holiday funfairs

Painted by TURNER (around 1800), showing that it was still wild, even k

if it had been already drained

Crisscrossed by paths, planted with chestnut trees, London plane  trees and other mature trees.

A gay cruising reputation (Ron Davies MP?)

More information 

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/architecture/sites/bartlett/files/50.13_clapham_common_to_lavender_hill.pdf

Former PUBLIC LIBRARY, now OMNIBUS THEATRE and ARTS CENTRE

1889. 

In 2012, a new library was opened in Clapham High Street, and the old building was taken over by a locally formed trust, which has transformed it into an arts centre. The former use is recorded by a Clapham Society green plaque.

 

Tucked  in the garden outside is a Roman memorial stone, now illegible, which came here via the grounds Cavendish House on South Side, but it had been discovered earlier in the foundations of a building in the Tower of London. “To the spirits of the departed and of Titus Licinius…”

Former ROSS FACTORY, now GEORGE WEST HOUSE, residential

https://claphamsociety.co.uk/article/25-from-ross-to-experian/

https://industrialhistoryhk.org/ross-ltd/

Spectacles, telescopes, photographic lenses

WOMAN OF SAMARIA, DRINKING FOUNTAIN

The large drinking fountain is by August von Kreling, cast in 1884 by F Miller of Munich. It depicts a woman giving water to a beggar.

Originally erected by the United Kingdom Temperance and General Provident Society, near their offices (ADELAIDA PLACE) on the northern approach to London Bridge, it was moved here in 1895 when it is said that its weight had begun to crack the bridge approach.

 


Close to the fountain is a large 
black poplar behind an iron fence.

Its predecessor was known as Captain Cook's tree although as far as is known he never lived in Clapham.

 

The UK TOTAL ABSTINENCE LIFE was formed in London, 1840. As the group grew and progressively expanded, it changed its name in 1849. Later, it became the UK PROVIDENT INSTITUTION

Its products were aimed initially to teatotallers

https://www.aviva.co.uk/services/about-our-business/about-us/previous-companies/

CHILDREN’S PADDLING POND

Once called COCK POND, after the tavern opposite, it came into being in the 18th c. as a result of quarrying for soil and gravel to raise the site of the new parish  church (thence, the PIT POND)it was cratered by a V2 in Jan. ‘45. O


HOLY TRINITY CHURCH. The church of the CLAPHAM SECT. And that of the anti-abolitionists 

https://www.londonremembers.com/memorials/holy-trinity-clapham-clapham-sect#:~:text=Site%3A%20Holy%20Trinity%20Church%2C%20Clapham%20Common%20(5%20memorials)&text=The%20blue%20plaque%20to%20Wilberforce,is%20on%20the%20left%20side.

https://www.holytrinityclapham.org

 

A church with an active community and normally open to the public, or often in used.

Open  for worship in 1776, plain, simple…reflecting the calm spirit of those rational and enlightened times. The old church (where ST.PAUL’s stands) existed from the M.A., it had grown in a haphazard sort of way,  I it was in a poor state of repair, and it was too small.

After descussions, an Act of Parliament was obtained to buy land  from the manorial family. A trust was set up, headed by the the speaker of the Commons and JOHN THORNTON, the merchant banker, in a meeting in the PLOUGH INN. The architect chosen was KENTON COUSE, from the office of works (DOWNING STREET façade).

Simple design, 3 doors, galleries, stubby tower, a clock by THAWAITES of CLERKENWELL, a pearl of 4 bells.

 

A bigger congregation was attracted by JOHN VENN, rector from 1792. New vestries, porch (shelter for those alighting from their carriages) and a big organ.

The seats in the nave were box pews, for which occupants paid rent (thus the church was funded). The poor occupied plain benches in the middle.

Venn introduced the reform of holding communion services only once a month. The few who took com. gathered at the e.e. in front of the beautiful mahogany table of 1776, and still in use each Sunday

 

The church has changed to reflect changes in approach to worship. During the 19th c. the emphasis shirted away from a long sermon and more  towards a participofnteh congregation in hymn and music.

In 1875 the box pews were reduced in heigh and converted into the present bench pews.

The big three decker pulpit was cut down and moved to the N side, allowing room for a choir.

The new font a the w.e., in a sort of medieval style,  saw the baptism of EM FORSTER ( the first!).

Later in the century there was a move to pull it down and building a new Gothic Revival church, as this one was seen as ugly.

In 1903, the e.e. was reconstructed and enlarged, in a sympathetic way with the plainness of the original, by  BERESFORD PITE. But the richness preferred in Edwardian times was brought in.

During WW2 the windows were destroyed, the Lady Chapel gutted, the main roof nearly collapsed. The congregation sat under the galleries!. The restoration was completed in 1952

Abolition of the transatlantic slave trade: the struggle

The struggle to end the transatlantic slave trade and slavery was achieved by African resistance and economic factors as well as through humanitarian campaigns.

The most prominent abolitionists in Britain, notably Thomas Clarkson and William Wilberforce, were great publicists. Wilberforce (1759-1833) led the British parliamentary campaign to abolish the transatlantic slave trade and slavery.

Opinion in Europe was also changing. Moral, religious and humanitarian arguments found more and more support. A vigorous campaign to achieve abolition began in Britain in 1783 and also developed in North America and the Caribbean, often led by the Black churches. In Britain, Thomas Clarkson (1760-1846) was another prominent campaigner who was principally responsible for collecting evidence against the trade. Clarkson was a founder member of the society for effecting the abolition of the slave trade in 1787.

Read on https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/history-of-slavery/abolition#

THE CLAPHAM SECT or THE CLAPHAM SAINTS

A group of prominent men and women met in some houses around CLAPHAM COMMON.  Their two intended goals were the suppression of slavery and the reformation of the manners in society. However, they were not a sect!

BATTERSEA RISE HOUSE

Their main hub was the house of HENRY THORNTON, MP and banker, who provided organisation and funding to the group. He had inheritedan immense fortune from his father (RUSSIA trade). Brothers SAMUEL and ROBERT had, as well, houses around the COMMON.

His cousin WILLIAM WILBERFORCE first shared the house with him. Later he moved to another house in the neighbourhood, bought by H.TH., BROOMFIELD (after the death of EDWARD JAMES ELIOTT, MP, friend and brother-in-law of PITT). Another influential member of the grouping CHARLES GRANT (EAST INDIA COMPANY, and who had lived with the other two) lived in GLENELG

The Thornton sold the houses and land for development, but BATTERSEA RISE, in 1907 still was the hallowed shrine of the CLAPHAM SAINTS. There were attempts to save the house, only written  memories rest with us (DOROTHY PYM, EM FORSTER, JAMES STEPHEN).

BATTERSEA HOUSE was a QUEEN ANNE house, owned by 1751  by JOHN AKERMAN (a pioneer in the promotion of diamond-cut glass). Son ISAAC built SISTER HOUSES, of which only GILMORE HOUSE (No.113) survives (with lovely views towards CHELSEA and HAMPSTEAD).

Cousins THORNTON and WILBERFORCE were Evangelical  Christians intimate friends, they were seriously minded and  desired to live more “rationally”  and wanted to do some philanthropy. They were immersed already in the anti-slavery campaign, and had the support of PITT. Fresh forethought was needed though.

SIERRA LEONA COMPANY was founded by them in 1791 to claim the African  colony for FREED SLAVES.

They intended as well to strengthen morals and religion, in convulse times (French Revolution).

A community of high-minded friends, a CHUMMERY was created. They would live together some parts of the year, occupied in debating, studying, praying, planning, and relaxing

 

 

BATTERSEA RISE had a library added in the 1790s, the PITT ROOM (did he design it?). A truly piece of resistance, with bowed ends and taller and longer than the fron5 rooms. It became the main reception room.

Another interior was the SCHOOL ROOM. There were 34 bedrooms, altogether!.

The unifying factor was the garden, a meeting place, for play and debate, according to SIR JAMES STEPHEN (ESSAY 1844).

Adherents of the “sect” and  neighbours of the “sacred village” joined in the conclaves convened by WW and HT. And further flung visitors like HANNAH and PATTY MORE). Children Woollcott eat star while REVEREND VENN gave an animated lecture on the duty of parents…

Idyllic, mythical…  Walk,talk and serious prayers

Kitchen gardens, cowsheds, stables, as well. And pleasure gardens.

HT married MARIANNE in 96. WW, BARBARA, in 97. WW and B moved to GORE HOUSE (KENSINGTON) in 1808. 
Barbara did not participate as THORNTON’s and GRANT’s spouses.

ZACHARY MACAULEY and JAMES STEPHEN and their families were attracted…

HENRY and MARIANNE THIONTON died almost in succession, in 1815. The INGLIS moved in as guardians of their 9 children. HENRY SYKES THORNTON continued the Evangelical connection

 

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/architecture/sites/bartlett/files/50.17_between_the_commons_1.pdf

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/architecture/sites/bartlett/files/50.18_between_the_commons_2.pdf

You will see the site of those houses when you divert towards the WEST SIDE of the COMMON and WANDSWORTH

The PRO-slavery lobby

An active counter campaign was mounted by those who profited from slavery. The West India lobby of plantation owners and their supporters in the British Parliament fought abolition.

The foundation plaque of the W.I.DOCKS

Reproduction of the WID’S gate, with the HIBBERT ship on topp

The plinth of the statue of ROBERT MILLIGAN

CANARY WHARF ESTATE, site of the WEST INDIA DOCKS

“Much has been written about William Wilberforce and the Clapham Sect that was partly responsible for the abolition of slavery, however the story is not that straight forward. Slavery in England ended with the Mansfield Decision of 1772. This was followed some years later by Thomas Clarkson’s prizewinning essay of 1785, ‘On The Trade in the Human Species…’, even after reading the essay it was still another four years until Wilberforce rose in Parliament in May 1789 with the first of series of speeches concerning the slave trade. 


What is little known is that a week later George Hibbert rose in at a meeting of Merchants at the London Tavern and demolished Wilberforce’s three and a half hour speech with an address that lasted about 40 minutes, entitled ‘The Slave Trade Indispensable….’ This was Game–on as the 30 year old Wilberforce went Head to Head with the 32 year old Hibbert on the merits or otherwise of the abolition of the slave trade.

This was followed the following year by George Hibberts evidence to Parliament which did not concern itself with the morality or otherwise of owning a workforce but the commercial realities of not having a workforce. There was no moral question just the settled law from the time of Elizabeth I and the Common Law and  Traditional Customs, Rights and Privileges of the African Chieftans.

In 1794 George Hibbert moved to Clapham Common North Side to a house on the opposite side  of Clapham Common from the house Wilberforce shared with his cousin Henry Thornton. In the middle of Clapham Common is the church Holy Trinity that is immortalized as the church of the Clapham Sect. However the truth of the matter is that the Hibberts also worshiped there. The forces of slavery and anti slavery in the same church each Sunday.

Nothing much happened for the next five years until 1799 when a bill was presented to Parliament authorizing the building of the West India Docks. These Docks being the largest privately funded civil works programme ever undertaken in England. George Hibbert along with Robert Milligan being one of the driving forces of its construction. Opened, ahead of schedule, in 1802, Hibbert was appointed the first Chairman and to celebrate this a model of the Ship ‘Hibberts’ was placed over the main gate.

By 1807 George Hibbert was elected to Parliament for the Rotten Borough of Seaford and took the fight for the retention of the colonial slave based economy directly to Wilberforce. The contents of George Hibbert’s arguments can be found in ‘The Contents of three speeches…1807’

From Hibberts first speech on the matter in 1789 to 1807 nothing much had changed, the slave trade which theoretically should have ended shortly after the Mansfield decision of 1772 was alive and well and even the 1807 Wilberforce Act that proscribed the shipping of new slaves from West Africa did little to change the status quo. Even in 1807 we are still 31 years from Emancipation. So why did it take 66 years from the Mansfield decision of 1772 to emancipation in 1838? The short and simplistic answer is the payment of £20,000,000 compensation to the slave owners to end the slave trade……This is the basis of the forthcoming book ‘The Price of Sugar’

All this was greatly influenced by George Hibbert and four of his brothers that spent time in Jamaica, (out of ten Hibberts to serve there). It could be argued that if Thomas Clarkson had not been so intransigent in his objection to the payment of compensation to the slave owners, then the Colonial based slave economy could have been dismantled about 20 years earlier, after the victory of Wellington over Napoleon at Waterloo.

George Hibbert was appointed Agent General for Jamaica in 1812 at a salary of £1,500 p.a. a position he held until 1831.

George Hibbert was very much the polymath, speaking five languages fluently, (English ,French, Italian, Latin and Greek, with at least a working knowledge of German and some Dutch?) He married Elizabeth Margaret Fonnereau in  1784 by whom he had 14 children.

He was a member of many clubs, organizations and societies, including being a Mason, politically he was a Whig and religiously a Protestant.

Member of the Society for the Improvement of Naval Architecture and the Society of Marine Architects,

Founder Member for the Committee on French Privateers,

Alderman of the City of London for the Ward of Bridge Within,

Member of Parliament for Seaford,

Honorary Master of the Cloth Workers Company,

Instrumental in establishing the London Institution,

Elected Fellow of the Linnaeus Society, The Royal Society and The Antiquarian Society.

Member of The Roxburghe Club.

A Founder of what became the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

Amongst his other interests were the early history of printing, Botany, Bibliophile, Art Collector and Dealer. Hibbert the Bibliophile was immortalized as ‘Honorio’ in the Rev. Thomas Dibdin’s Bibliographical Decameron.
Hibberts botanical interests led to the genus Hibbertia being named in his honour.

 

From https://www.georgehibbert.com/george.html

Lord Nelson and slavery: Nelson’s dark side

When Lord Nelson died he was hailed as Britain’s greatest seafaring hero – a reputation that survives to this day. However, a letter he wrote onboard HMS Victory reveals a different face, showing his vehement opposition to William Wilberforce’s campaign for the abolition of the slave trade. Christer Petley uncovers Nelson’s sympathy with a brutal Jamaican slave-owning elite. Read on: https://www.historyextra.com/period/georgian/lord-nelson-slavery-abolition-william-wilberforce-dark-side/#

Clapham Common North Side 

MACAULEY WALK: PARISH SCHOOL, then ROSS OPTICAL WORKS

1839. The SCHOOL had outgrown building in OLD TOWN. The Lord of the Manor sold this site at a reduced price to MR.BRIWN, who presented it to the parish. 
Used for C. ATHENAEUM meetings, and for musical entertainment.

During WW2, ROSS OPTICAL staff canteen.

By the 1960s, too small, girls and infants moved to VICTORIA RISE site. Closed 1974.

Nos.14-21  TERRACE of GEORGIAN HOUSES

CHURCH BUILDINGS

WREN, 1713-1720?

CAPT. COOK, CLARENCE HOUSE?. No proof of he living here or planting the CAPTAIN COOK’S TREES in memory of sons. However his wife lived in the HIGH STREET for almost 50 years (?)

CLAPHAM ACADEMY, where THOMAS HOOD went to school (about which he wrote his ODE)?

Elegant, red brick, sash windows, fanlights over front door, decorative railings and gates 

14

Built “1714-20”. “IHS”= JOHN HUTT SENIOR, builder. Bought by WESTMINSTER HOSPITAL “1913” .

Devastated during WW2 (only outer walls)

Pl.: GRAHAM GREEN lived h. 1935-40.

GRANVILLE SHARP and EDWARD L’ANSON lived here

http://literarylondon.org/london-fictions/greene-end-of-the-affair-1951/#:~:text=When%20Bendrix%20first%20takes%20Sarah,passion%20of%20the%20adulterous%20lovers.

https://rules.co.uk/restaurant/history/

GREEN set THE END OF THE AFFAIR in CLAPHAM (a passioned affair with RC, wife of a peer)

He lived here with his family, who was evacuated when bombings started. GG remained in BLOOMSBURY with lover DOROTHY GLOVER.

Here GG was visited by J.BETJ, EVE.WAU. and other writers and publishers.

Journalist, novelist, screen plays (ALE. KORDA, CAROL REED - THIRD MAN), Ministry of Info., SIS agent. At MI6, under KIM PHILBY. He resigned service in 44 but continued to provide information until the 80s.

ARCHWAY HOUSE

The AFRICAN ACADEMY for the young ladies, set up by MARIANNE THIRNTON (after moving from RECTORY GR.)

 https://africanvoiceonline.co.uk/claphams-hidden-links-to-sierra-leone/

OKEOVER MANOR

1930s block of flats.

Pl.: MARIE KENDALL lived here

WOODLANDS

Art Deco, with strong horizontal lines.. JJ DE SEGRAIS. Original gates

No.26 CHASE LODGE

1700, with later additions 

On, or near the LODGE serving CLAPHAM PLACE

Nos 29 & 31 THE CHASE (street)

Along the length of the chase used to run the boundary of two gardens, two estates, extending up to the WANDSWORTH ROAD (500 meters), purchased with slave trade wealth: ROBERT BARCLAY’s, the banker, and GEORGE HIBBERT, merchant and planter.

Nos.29-32

THE ELMS. Part of the ROYAL TRINITY HOSPICE

https://boroughphotos.org/lambeth/the-elms-clapham-common-north-side-clapham/

B. 1754 for THOMAS PAGE.

It became the residence of the banker and brewer ROBERT BARCLAY, and of his son CHARLES. His mother was RACHEL GURNEY (ELIZABETH FRY).  Both were prominent anti-slavery campaigners.

Pl.: CHARLES BARRY, lived here 1853-60.

Classical porch, Doric columns, pediment.

 

Bought in 1900 by the NATIONAL FREE HOME for the DYING.

Converted into flats to raise income.

 

ANCHOR BREWERY, BANKSIDE

https://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php/Barclay,_Perkins_%26_Co._Ltd

The TRINITY HOSPICE was f. in 1891. As THE HOSTEL OF GOD (from 1900) It was run by the ORDER OR ST.MARGARET OF EAST GRINSTEAD, from 1895 to 1977, when it was taken  over by the Council. ROYAL since 2015.

https://www.royaltrinityhospice.london/our-history

Originally, CLAPHAM PLACE or GREAT HOUSE

https://claphamsociety.com/article/21-pepys-moved-to-clapham/

 

This house was built in the garden of CLAPHAM PLACE, the house of DENIS GAUDEN, VICTUALLER to the RN, friend of SP (they exchanged gifts… never before a contract was signed… SP said!). GAUDEN supplied the RN with produce of his own farms. He visited and stayed at the height of the G.PLAGUE.
Later bought by WILLIAM HEWER, S.P’s clerk and friend. Pepys  continued to visit, and was at its turn by J.EVELYN and spent here the last 3 years of his life. He died here in 1703, leaving £5 and the mourning rings to the poor of the village. His nephew built a new CEDARS  house 

WH sold the farms but kept pleasure gardens.

Remains of CLAPHAM PLACE have been found in THE CHASE.

 

No.31

Here, GEORGE HIBBERT created a garden  which rivalled KEW.

Architect JT KNOWLES (1831-1901) lived here


The LBTC Route takes you, through the COMMON, to the BANDSTAND

However, let me introduce to other features, figures  and stories alongside CC NORTH SIDE in case you want to divert

33-37

Lions and urns

Victoria Rise

Bigger house, double por porch. Designed by L’ANSON for himself. 20th infillings and excrescences.

Site of THE WILDERNESS (H.FLITZCROFT). Little London house of HENRY HOARE, the banger

Milestone 

CEDARS TERRACE

KNOWLES Junior. 1860. The last of the grand houses

6 storey towers, Fr aren’t roofs, cast iron balusters, ivy leaf decorations 

Planned as gateway to PARK TOWN, a huge development to stretch down to the THAMES. Though mostly unbuilt a stretch of i y leaves can be see down CEDARS ROAD

No. 47. AUGENER, publicist

PL.: EDWARD GRIEG

WIX’S LANE

Market gardener, Mr. Wix.

Boundary between CL. and BATTERSEA. See IRON BOUNDARY MARKER

Nos5 3-56 Site of Mr.WIX’S house and STONELEY HOUSE

STONELEY was the home of J.HATCHARD, the PICCADILLY bookseller

EATON HOUSE, THE MANOR SCHOOL

Started by J.MORTON and his pupil HAROLD MACMILLAN.

Eaton House, previously known as Cliveden Place Preparatory School, was opened in 1897 by Thomas Sale Morton, encouraged in this venture by the mother of a boy that he was coaching at the time, Harold Macmillan, the 1st Earl of Stockton and eventual British Prime Minister.

First located in Cliveden Place the school grew rapidly, as a result of Mr Morton’s exceptional teaching abilities, moving a number of times in the Belgravia area before settling at 3 Eaton Gate. By 1946, 5 Eaton Gate was purchased to further accommodate the ever-expanding boys’ preparatory school. Read on!

https://www.eatonhouseschools.com/clapham/about-us/history/

Weeping willow… water!

No.64 COTTAGE

A remain of NIRTHSIDE, JOHN CARR’s (biscuit manufacturer) villa.

Rests of east wing

Terrace houses b. on grounds

 

Former SPRINGWELL HOUSE, PARKGATE HOUSE SCHOOL

ROGER LEE

During Inter-war period an open air school for children with TB

DOULTON HOUSE

Residence of the Founder of the China manufacture

Terraced houses

No.109

Mr.GLADSTONE opening speech of his IRELAND HOME RULE campaign

No.110 ALVERSTOkE

PL.: JOHN BURNS, MP., tradeunionist, lived here

https://markwrite.co.uk/john-burns-clapham-london/

GILMORE HOUSE

Pl.: JOHN WALTERS founder of the DAILY UNIVERSAL REGISTER

Pre-Raphaelite chapel: PHILIP WEBB, BURNE-JONES

For ISABELLA GILMORE, W.M’s sister, f.of the Anglican Order of DEACONESES. Some fittings are in the V&A M.

ST.BARNABAS CH. and modern meeting hall

THE SHRUBBERY

Bus routes alongside CLAPHAM COMMON NORTH SIDE and CEDARS ROAD

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/clapham-common-a4-0622.pdf

The Official Route and nearby interesting points

BANDSTAND

https://claphamcommon.info

know your London.wordpress

stuffaboutlondon.co.uk

londongardentrust

thelondoncentrist.com

news.sky.com(Sarah Everard)

1890. Fully restored in 2006. 2011: granite sets for drainage. Made following the model of the 1861. ROYAL HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY GARDEN, in S.KEn.(the first documented “bandhouse”).

Bandstands are a feature of British way of life, for more than a century., a parks proliferated around industrial, overcrowded districts. A focal point, providing  a piece of decoration and sense of community, of sense of pride, a sense of humanisation in the midst of industry and grime Crowds of up to 10.000 used to gather, in MYATTS FIELDS Thursday nights were very popular. 
At one stage 150 of them used to grace the London parks. The progressive LCC alone ordained the building of around 25 b.s. by 1901. They even hired CARL ARMBRUSTER  (“music have charms to soothe the savage beast” ) as musical adviser, to guarantee a good music quality.

Concerts of three hours, up to 2 times a day.

However, in the squalid East End, the audiences were badly behaved, stones were thrown, people, dressed in rags, would yell… The audiences behaved more decently with time!.

In the 50s the popularity of concerts in parks waned… In the 60s, a revival: PINK FLOYS, FLEETWOOD MAC, DAVID BOWIE, DIRE STRAITS…played here, for free!.

In the 70s, disused, vandalised, even demolished. And revival from the 90s: restored and concerts of all types of music performed.

 

 

THE PEAR TREE CAFÉ

https://www.peartreecafe.co.uk/clapham-common

 CHILDREN’S PLAYGROUND

THE WINDMILL ON THE COMMON PUB and ROOMS

An inn has stood here since at least 1665.

I owes the name (see in sign!)  to a wind (post) mill that stood nearby. In the parish records there are notes of THOMAS GRENSHAW, miller, and ale house  keeper. Millilling must have been gradually less Important… By 1789 noted as a very genteel and well accustomed house, and many years in the possessi Of MRS. SIMMONDS. And it also became a staging post for coaches. Since 1840 belongs to YOUNG’S BREWERY.

Early 18th c. Vestry meetings took place here, alongside the COCK and the PLOUGH.

In 1815: “pleasant, with dinners dressed to order and excellent ordinaries provided on Sun.”

A rambling building (18th/19th c). A hotel since 1993.

 

https://www.windmillclapham.co.uk

EAGLE POND

https://www.fishprep.com/water/eagle-pond-clapham-common/

COMUNITY VEGETABLE GARDEN

“At the garden we grow everything from squash to salad, right in the centre of Clapham Common on the formerly derelict land on Lambeth Council’s waste storage site”

https://bandstandbeds.org.uk

Nearby

MOUNT POND.  BENJAMIN FRANKLIN’s  OIL ON WATER experiments…

https://benjaminfranklinhouse.org/the-house-benjamin-franklin/the-franklin-trail/

https://www.mountvernon.org/library/digitalhistory/digital-encyclopedia/article/benjamin-franklin-in-london


One of the Founding Fathers of the United States, Franklin was a leading author, politician, statesman and diplomat. He was also an outstanding experimental scientist and during the 1760s initiated his ‘oil on water’ experiments on the ponds of Clapham Common, an important moment in the study of surface chemistry.

Franklin earned the title of “The First American” for his early campaigning for colonial unity initially as an author and  a representative and spokesman in London for several colonies. Franklin stayed in Clapham with his friend Mr Christopher Baldwin at The Grange on West Side (pulled down c. 1900). Baldwin was a resident at The Grange from 1762 to 1778, during which period the Franklin experiments must have been carried out.

During one of his many voyages across the Atlantic Ocean, Franklin observed that oil had a calming effect on waves when poured into rough ocean waters (the wake of the ship was diminished when the cook scuttled their greasy water). Franklin went on to experiment with oil on water on mont pond on Clapham Common, spreading monomolecular films on various bodies of water, and ultimately devised a concept of particle repulsion that is indirectly related to the hydrophobic effect. His early observations inspired others to measure the dimensions of oil monolayers, which eventually led to the formulation of the contemporary lipid bilayer model of the cell membrane.

By 1776 Franklin was actively involved in framing the Declaration of Independence, and as a skilled negotiator he successfully won Britain’s recognition of U.S. Independence (1783) and from then on played an outstanding public role in the early history of the United States. .

https://www.thisisclapham.co.uk/sw4_local/benjamin-franklin/#:~:text=Franklin%20went%20on%20to%20experiment,related%20to%20the%20hydrophobic%20effect.

https://theconversation.com/pornography-the-devil-and-baboons-in-fancy-dress-what-went-on-at-the-infamous-historical-hellfire-club-185869

https://pubs.aip.org/physicstoday/online/9270/Benjamin-Franklin#

However, an interesting diversion here would be towards CLAPHAM SOUTH LU STATION and the area around  NIGHTINGALE LANE (see chapter)

Here you have an appetiser…

1942 DEEP SHELTER and the first “housing” for the new West Indian arrivals…

Below, two 1,400 foot long tunnels of 16'6" diameter, beneath the tube tunnels. Used as air raid shelters in 1944, they housed the 240 people from the West Indies, who sailed on the Empire Windrush in 1948.

Until 2015 an archive store. Listed Grade II in 1998.

SOUTH CLAPHAM LU STA.

The tube reached here in 1926 originally planned as Nightingale Lane station - entrance building by Charles Holden, more famous for the later, curvy, Arnos Grove.

Octagonal hall with period detailing: detailing: stonework, wooden shop fronts, black fluted tiled walls, iron chandelier echoing the restored exterior London Transport logo.

 

Former SOUTH LONDON HOSPITAL FOR WOMEN

The former South London Hospital for Women was  founded by Dr Maud Chadburn. It opened in 1916 and closed in 1984 after 68 years of care of women by women. Redeveloped by Tesco (2006), incorporating the fine hospital facade (Sir Edwin Cooper, 1935).

Neo-Georgian, with some original stone window and door cases. Chimneys, the west wing, entry staircase and anachronistic urns are new.

 

21 GRAMS, cosy café

Site of  HENRY CAVENDISH’s HOUSE

Looking over South Side, Cavendish Parade is called after Henry Cavendish, 18th century scientist. In his house on this site, in 1798, he was the first to measure the earth's density, with remarkable accuracy, using a torsion balance.

 

Opposite and beyond are terraced houses, built from 1885 on the site of the Clock House Estate, once (1775-95) home of the King's printer, Charles Eyre.

Later, members of the CLAPHAM ATHENEAUM  marvelled at demonstrations conducted in its extensive grounds showing the ability of a new phenomenon, electric light, to illuminate over long distances (1853).

In the streets behind can be seen decorative door cases, stained glass, ceramic porch columns, urns on gables and carved headstones.

 

LESSAR AVE.: Site of bomb damage

No.78 (corner of CAUTLEY AVE.) THE DUTCH HOUSE

Originally called 'Den Haag' (arch. George Scott 1888)  in Arts and Crafts style, stands out in bright red brick, with its projecting octagonal turret, banding of scalloped tiles on the roof and walls, ironwork roof feature and unusual drainpipes. It was originally built for William de Wilde Cater, an army uniform outfitter who later went bankrupt.

 

EAGLE POND

One of the four ponds remaining, of eleven. They were formed by gravel extraction. Now it is a fishing pond, where competitions are held.

A small adjacent wetlands area has been added, amongst other recent improvements 

Back to the tour route: Cross over CLAPHAM COMMON SOUTH SIDE

Bus routes alongside CLAPHAM COMMON SOUTH SIDE

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/clapham-common-a4-0622.pdf

Why not discovering BALHAM and TOOTING?

https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/balham/

https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/tooting/

https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/tooting-bec/

https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/tooting-broadway/

https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/tooting-graveney/

For other features of SOUTH SIDE see  OLD TOWN chapter

For the WEST SIDE  and NIGHTINGALE LANE of the COMMON see chapter 

You are following the LBTC SOUTH LONDON VILLAGES route

Alongside Narbonne Road 

CLAPHAM PARK

In 1825 speculative developer Thomas Cubitt bought 229 acres of Bleak Hall Farm and began to lay out the BRIXTON side of the district as the Clapham Park estate, where he built his trademark Italianate villas, including a home for himself on Clarence Avenue. Development progressed slowly and it was not until the 1850s that most of the estate had been built up. By this time Clapham Park had become one of the most fashionable London addresses south of the river. Read on…

https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/clapham-park/

AIR RAID SHELTER

In the grounds of CLARENCE HOUSE, CLAPHAM PARK west Estate

Site and remains of EAGLE HOUSE


Stone arch with its Tuscan columns… a BILLIARD ROOM (until 1975 it was a Mission room of a mysterious religious organisation, the PLYMOUTH BRETHREN), hay barn, stables, Bath a Portland stone screen wall, ornamental balustrade. See Venetian window saved from another wing.

EAGLE HOUSE  was one of the original grand 18th c. Mansions on the SOUTH SIDE. City merchants had built country residences in what had become a fashionable area, close to their affairs, in London.

 

As this is the West wing, the house would have stood across where NARBONNE AVENUE is now.

It was the residence of

BENJAMIN BOND and ELIZABETH HEALEY. Substantial garden, w.lake, spanned with a Chinese style wooden bridge.

WILLIAM SMITH MP

WILLIAM EDGAR, owner of the SWAN & EDGAR DEPARTMENT STORE, REGENT ST., 1844-89.

Structural engineer SINCLAIR JOHNSTON rescued it from dereliction in 1989. Replica eagles are perched on the roof. Originally a pair of bronze ones graced the gateposts.

 

CHURCH of the HOLY SPIRIT

Arch. BURKE-DOWNING, 1912-13. B. in a Gothic style, In homage to CANON PHILIP GREEN, rector of Clapham, on land he had bought for the purpose.

Rose window. Landmark turret.

BETJEMAN called the interior tall, Bodley-esque, lofty and restrained.

ABBEVILLE ROAD: A VILLAGE?

Tucked away. An area developed in the 1880s. Houses remained in in single family occupation. Local independent shops, and a sprinkling of restaurants and cafés.

Centre of nightlife for the professional middle classes, with a more relaxed vibe than crowded HIGH ST./OLD TOWN
The estate agents say: “It's South Clapham's best kept secret. Nicknamed “Abbeville Village”, there’s a real community atmosphere here, which is why it’s so popular with families” 

https://winchester-white.co.uk/area-guide/abbeville-road/

Shops and eateries

Alongside ELMS CRESCENT and CRESCENT LANE

Victorian 

Alternatively alongside ABBEVILLE ROAD

Former Union of Post Office Workers Headquarters

https://claphamsociety.co.uk/green-plaque/9-union-of-post-office-workers-headquarters-green-plaque/

Site of GROVE LODGE, house and extensive grounds, residence owned by GEORGE CHILD.

Crescent shaped terrace, detached villas and coach houses.

In 1920 sold to the Amalgamated Union of the Building Trade, as HQ. Early 1930s the UPOW moved in, from CROMWELL ROAD. The ordinal GROVE LODGE was demolished, and the new building (opened in 1937, in reinforced concrete, brick external walls, arch. CULLIFORD) occupies roughly the same footprint.

A storey was added in 1976. In 1998 the renamed UNION OF COMMUNICATIONS WORKERS sold to METROPOLITAN HOUSING TRUST

BLENHEIM GARDENS ESTATE

BRIXTON WINDMILL

https://www.brixtonwindmill.org/about/history/

A surprising landmark… a reminder of Lambeth's rural past. It stands as the only surviving windmill in a borough that once had 12 windmills. It is also the only remaining windmill in inner London.

Formerly known as Ashby's Mill (by1816 it was leased to John ~)this building tells the story of two mills: a traditional wind-powered mill that operated for 45 years and produced stoneground wholemeal flour. By 1864 the surroundings had be one too built up for the mill to operate efficiently, so that it become a store house.
And in the 20th c… a steam- and after gas-powered mill installed in 1902 to serve the public's desire for 'white flour', until 1934.

In 1957 the LCC bough the land and the buildings for almost £8.000 and opened WINDMILL GARDENS. By the early 60s a bakery, the mill house and the mill cottage, demolished.

By 2002 the MILL itself was in the  EN REGISTER of BUILDINGS AT RISK.  Local residents formed FRIENDS OF W.GDNS, as a campaign group, and looked to have the windmill restored. An HRIT.LOT. FUND grant was awarded in 2010 to the partnership Friends and Lambeth C for the restoration of sails, cap, tower… and for conversion to electricity. In 2011 2.000 people visited it after a celebratory parade.

Now, thanks to the efforts of volunteers, it forms the focus of a multitude of community-based activities. Walking tours, educational programmes for local school children…

In 2014 the wind moved again the sails, for the first time in 50 years!.

 

 


Former ST.SAVIOUR’S Anglican CHURCH, now NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH OF GOD

The church was designed by E.C. Robins to seat 900 and was consecrated in 1875. Neo-early (13th c.) French Gothic. Kentish ragstone dressed with Bath stone. Tower and pinnacles, octogonal louvred lantern, with only one chimed bell fives for QUEEN. Daughter church of ST.MATTHEW’s.
It closed as an Anglican church in 1976 and is now a New Testament Church of God.

The Pentecostal Mission (TPM), also known as New Testament Church (NTC) in the United States and Universal Pentecostal Church (UPC) in the United Kingdom, is a Pentecostal denomination established in 1923 in Colombo, British Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Its global headquarters is located in Irumbuliyur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The organization operates churches in over 75 countries under various names and has more than 2,000 places of worship worldwide. Formerly called the Ceylon Pentecostal Mission (CPM), the denomination has grown to include millions of members

https://www.shipoffools.com/mystery-worshipper/brixton-new-testament-church-of-god-london/

ROYAL MAIL DELIVERY OFFICE

1891

DIVERSION  along BRIXTON HILL Northwards to the CLINK

No.101-103 Former SCALA  CINEMA

https://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/scala.html

https://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2013/06/the-old-south-beach-barscala-cinema-on-brixton-hill-looks-in-a-terrible-state/

THE CLINK RESTAURANT at HMP(rison)BRIXTON. Yes, a prison

https://theclinkcharity.org/our-story

“Changing attitudes, transforming lives and creating second chances

The original concept of The Clink Restaurant was created by Alberto Crisci MBE, then catering manager at HMP High Down in Surrey. He recognised real potential in the people working in the kitchens and introduced accredited City & Guilds NVQ training.

The Clink Charity is now in its fourteenth year of achieving stellar results and has one of the lowest reoffending rates in the UK.

The Clink Charity continues to operate in a challenging environment in which external factors play a significant part. The Prison Estate has been placed firmly under the spotlight in 2023 and will continue to be so this year, and the hospitality sector has been hit by the dual cost of living crisis and faces a skills shortage. Now more than ever, society needs good, talented people to overcome the challenges we all face. Your support means we can continue to develop and nurture those people, so that they can rebuild their lives.”

No.239 LCC trailers and trans

TELFORD AVE.: tram depot

ALTERNATIVE 1: On your way to BRIXTON. Alongside STRATHLEVEN RD, to FERNDALE ROAD

ACRE LANE

BIG SPLASH. A great mural!

https://www.brixtonsociety.org.uk/local-history/brixton-murals/big-splash/
https://www.brixtonsociety.org.uk/local-history/brixton-murals/

FERNDALE ROAD Conservation Area

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2021-02/ferndale-road-ca-draft-character-appraisal-sep-2020.pdf

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2024-01/CA46_Ferndale_Rd_Map_2024.pdf

ALTERNATIVE 2: to BRIXTON alongside JOSEPHINE AVE. and on to ST.MATTHEW’S CH.

BRIXTON HILL

ALTERNATIVE 3: route direct to BROCKWELL PARK. JOSEPHINE AVE., LEANDER ROAD and the TULSE HILL ESTATE

TULSE HILL

Official LBTC cycling tour route, alongside BRANKSOME ROAD, SUDBOURNE RD. and  BRIXTON HILL

BRIXTON HILL

Brixton Hill and Streatham Hill form part of the traditional main London to Brighton road (A23). The road follows the line of a Roman Road, the London to Brighton Way, which diverges from Stane Street near Kennington, and led south from the capital, Londinium, to a port on the south coast.

Conservation Area

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2021-07/CA49RushCommonAndBrixtonHillAppraisal-accessible.pdf

LAMBETH ARCHIVES

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/libraries-0/lambeth-archives

Lambeth Archives is located in the centre of the borough at a new site on Brixton Hill, overlooking Rush Common; featuring a searchroom and space for hosting exhibitions, meetings and educational events.

 

RUSH COMMON

Piece of marshy common stretching from the top of Br.Hill.  1806 ACT OF PARLIAMENT: the land was enclosed, retaining its open character notwithstanding it is private property. No building allowed. 
The RIVER EFFRA runs underneath EFFRA RD, towards OVAL and VAUXHALL (A tributary, under JOSEPHINE AVE.)

BRIXTON ORCHARD. Site of a Cold War anti-nuclear bunker

Former FRIDGE NIGHT CLUB, now ELECTRIC BRIXTON

“Brixton’s Town Hall Parade is home to Electric Brixton, a celebrated London multi-purpose venue with a wealth of history. Housed in an Edwardian building dating back to 1913 that previously hosted The Palladium Picture House cinema, live music venue The Ace and more recently the legendary Fridge nightclub, it fuses together old & new, marrying the historical & original features with cutting-edge technologies”.

THE FRIDGE claimed to have been the first British club to have such innovations as video screens and a chill out lounge, and was at the heart of the 1980s New Romantic movement. After its closure the premises were renamed Electric Brixton.

The Fridge was founded, in 1981, by Andrew Czezowski and Susan Carrington, who had run the Roxy during punk music's heyday in 1977. The Fridge closed on 17 March 2010

https://www.londonremembers.com/subjects/the-fridge

For ST.MATTHEW’S CHURCH and LAMBETH TOWN HALL see next chapter

Why not supporting THE CLINK  CHARITY!