CAMBERWELL: from DENMARK HILL (KING’S COLLEGE HOSPITAL) to MYATTS FIELDS, and on to KENNINGTON and LAMBETH (LBTC base)

Alongside CUTCOMBE RD

Not far away, Southwell Road

FRED KARNO’s FUN FACTORY

Fred Karno (1866-1941) was one of greatest impresarios of music hall. He had numerous troupes touring the world. His fun factory, from where many of the UK tours departed, was at 28 Vaughan Road (now called Southwell Road), Loughborough Junction, between Brixton and Camberwell.

Cross over COLDHARBOUR LANE

Was it around here that the CAMBERWELL BEAUTY was discovered?

Comedian Jenny Eclair has lived in the area for decades – it features in her 2001 novel Camberwell Beauty, named after a species of butterfly.

The Camberwell beauty is rarely found in the UK – it is so named because two examples were first identified in Coldharbour Lane, Camberwell in 1748.

A large mosaic of the Camberwell beauty used to adorn the Samuel Jones paper factory in Southampton Way.

The paper factory has since been demolished but the mosaic was removed and reinstalled on the side of Lynn Boxing Club in Wells Way – England’s oldest club, which was where two big names Obed Mbwakongo and his brother Chris, began their careers.

Alongside DENMARK ROAD

MYATT’S FIELDS

The MINET Conservation Area

The PARK

A 14 acres VICTORIAN park, opened in Ma 1889, used for recreation, including ornamental and horticultural bits.

it was designed by FANNY ROLLO WILKINSON, the first British woman to become a professional landscape gardener. She designed it on behalf of the METROPOLITAN PUBLIC GARDENS ASSORIATIONS. And the LORD MAYOR’s grant was another help.

”Thanks God for the MINET family” said JOHN BENJEMAN., as the land was donated to the  METROPOLITAN BOARD OF WORKS, by the MINETS (Joseph) (on condition to keep, at that time, their anonymity). The MINET family had tenanted this farm land for a time. Some 118 acres of land they had purchased  from Sir Edward Knatchbull. 
Before  this area became built up, Joseph Myatt was a market gardener who, from 1818 to 1869, had leased part of this land and he became famous for his rhubarb, strawberries and cabbages.
They also gifted ST.JAMES’S CHURCH, the PARISH HALL and the LIBRARY.

 

The fields were transformed from market gardens into a populated distric in a few decades. VAUXHALL BRIDGE was built in 1816, and CUT THROAT LANE  became CAMBERWELL NEW ROAD.

Minet Estate’s borders are Akerman Road, Lothian Road, Camberwell New Road, the railway line, Paulet Road and Lilford Road

The MINET sold land to the LCD Railway and a station was built.

There was a demand for smaller houses. Builders got long leases and sold the homes , but the new tenants  got direct leases by the freeholder.

The area was not fully built until the 1900s, but even so it was overcrowded. And, in fact,  the creator of the PARK attracted further  dwellers to the area.

The MINETS build as well BURTON, CALAIS, ORCHARD, DOVER, HAYES, COLIGNY, HUGUES (houses or courts) in the 19th and  20th cent. (1964 was the last one)

Hang on!. A “MINET” is a PUSSY CAT!

1686   Isaac Minet (1660 -1745), a Huguenot, left France after Revocation of the Edict of Nantes to settle in London.

1731 Hughes Minet (1731-1813), grandson of Isaac Minet, born in Kent. 
The Minet family acquired property in Hayes
1770 Hughes Minet  bought over 100 acres in parish of Camberwell from Sir Edward Knatchbull.  Carry on reading…

Why not visiting “la commune de Cormont”? (and the nearest airport is…)

Now, can you see the cats?.

CALAIS GATE, Cormont Street

In 1889 this was housing got the well off. At the beginning, in this area, no shops of trade premises had to be built, as mandated by restrictive covenant.

Yes, the as finials on the gables, you can glimpse the terracotta cats!

Metropolitan Public Gardens Boulevard and Playground Assoc

Set up in 1882 by LORD REGINALD BRABAZON, EARL OF MEATH, a publicly spirited man, concerned about the physical health conditions of the poor

FANNY ROLLO WILKINSON

The first woman landscape gardener in Britain, Fanny Wilkinson was one of a circle of pioneering women social reformers, including Millicent Garrett Fawcett, campaigner for women’s suffrage, her sister Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, the first woman doctor in Britain, and cousins, Agnes and Rhoda Garrett, the first women interior decorators. Fanny also worked with Miranda and Octavia Hill developing public gardens for the benefit of the poor, Octavia later being involved in setting up what was to become the National Trust.


Mulberries?. Definitely, Huguenots were around. Or is it a coincidence?

LITTLE CAT CAFÉ

Former CORMONT SECONDARY SCHOOL (before  CHARLES EDWARD BROOK GIRLS SCH., and before that KENNINGTON BOYS’ SCH.,)

Plans to redevelop it as residential.
In 2016 LAMBETH C. commissioned a survey on the conditions of the building

ST.GABRIEL’S MANOR,  before, MILLARD BUILDING, GOLDSMITH COLLEGE GE and before a teacher training COLLEGE

1900. Art Nouveau. Orig.4 storeys, brick bands in 2 tones. Canted oriel bays, in brackets. Framing bay with a projecting gabled porch (a Tudor age ornament freely added).

The building was requisitioned by BARTS HOSPITAL  in 1914, becoming part of the 1RST LONDON GENERAL HOSPITAL.  VERA BRITAIN was stationed here (Memoirs).

Afterwards, a rest home, run by the LCC

And then,a women teacher school. 

 

Finally, until 1988 was established here the FINE ART & TEXTILES DEPT. of GOLDSMITH’S GOLLEGE

A group now known as the YBAs (the Young British Artists) began in Camberwell – in the Millard building of Goldsmiths’ College in Cormont Road.

The biggest name of the 20 or so high profile artists formed here was Damien Hirst, a graduate from the class of 1989.

The sculptor Anish Kapoor, who created the £19million Orbit sculpture which towers over the Olympic Park in east London, has a studio near here, in Camberwell.

VERA BRITAIN

Still on Cormont Street

On the other side of the PARK, KNATCHBULL ROAD

Former ST.JAMES’ CHURCH is now BLACK ROOF HOUSE

in 1870, before building started in earnest, it stood alone, overlooking the fields.
Mr.MINET took a lot of interest in building a church for the new neighbourhood… “My church, he used to say..

Impressive, with a capacity for 800 people, and a 145 ft.spire.

Made redundant and deconsecrated, it was converted to social housing by BLACK ROOF HOUSING ASSOCIATION 

LONGFIELD HALL

Longfield Hall was built by William Minet and completed in 1889. It was designed by architect George Hubbard. William Minet also built the library opposite the hall, St James the Apostle Church on Knatchbull Road and much of the housing which surrounds Myatt’s Fields Park. And bequeathed all their personal collections to the local authority!.
Sadly the original library building was destroyed by a bomb during the Second World War, while Longfield Hall was undamaged.

What makes Longfield Hall unusual architecturally is that it is an intact, late Victorian community hall. Longfield Hall has had many users since it opened – everything from Cinderella dances to “fruit socials”. In the 1970s it was home to Britain’s first publicly-funded Black Theatre company, Dark & Light Theatre Club.

Now, a community space dedicated to arts, culture, well-being, fitness…activities.

A 2019 Nat.Lott. Herit. Fund has allowed LONGFIELD HALL TRUST to set up a project exploring their history, digitalising records, with interviews… all you will find in their website.

And, as well, they have organised drama workshops for adults and children, culminating in performances telling the DARK & LIGHT THE. story.

The first black theatre company, DARK & LIGHT TH.CO., later called BLACK THEATRE OF  BRIXTON, was based and staged plays here.

I was founded by FRANK COUSINS, actor  and artistic director (1969-75). He himself unveiled the blue plaque. “A visionary who talked the talk, put his money and his talents where his mouth was, and walked the walk”, according to Dr.JACK BEULA. A pioneering contribution to British theatre.

They staged pantomimes with a Caribbean theme, formed a local youth theatre and toured the country showcasing  specially writers from all over the African diaspora (SOYINKA, BARAKA, O’NEILL, FUGARD…)

MINET LIBRARY

As William Minet was interested in the cooperative movement, it was built by a company which he formed in cooperative lines.

MINET HOUSE

“Squatters have occupied a public library building and turned it into a base for radical political groups.

The activists moved into the Lambeth council-owned Library House in Camberwell in September and are using it to hold squatting masterclasses and organise anti-Israel protests.”. Read on…

MICHAEL CHURCH

The New Church bases its doctrine on the Bible as revealed anew in the ‘Writings’ of Emanuel Swedenborg. This New Christianity is a belief that the Lord used Swedenborg as a means through which to fulfil His promise and come again to Humankind at its hour of greatest need.

Alongside CALAIS RD

The “CAMBERWELL SUBMARINE”. Not really a submarine…

A baffling oddity… on account of its nautical lines… definitely this is not a submarine. Is it a ventilation shaft for the tube?.  Nope. The nearest tube line is more than a mile away. A forgotten defence relic from the Cold War era, then?.  Nope. 
There is a substantial subterranean boiler room, 2 floors down, including an electronic control panel. What you see are the ventilation shafts.
Here, high pressure boilers heat the developments of the area (former council estates). 

Welcome to ANGELL TOWN. But you are still in MYATTS FIELDS…

MYATT’S FIELDS CENTRE. Café

The enduring MANDARINE TREE of EYTHORN PARK

Not far away… towards BRIXTON ROAD (see the alternatives routes from BRIXTON to Central London

In Normandy Road

CHERRY GROCE HOUSE. 

Brixton Road

MAX ROCH PARK: South, Centre, North

250 Brixton Road.

Published here West Indian Gazette and W.I. Observer.

And THEO CAMPBELL’S RECORD SHOP.

 

Not far away: Towards ST.JOHN’S THE DIVINE, but not part of the route


Former ONION SHED THEATRE

The name?: A reminder of Breton onion sellers, based in Camberwell, cycling heavily laden with strings of onions and garlic.  It must be a joke!.

Towards Vassal Road

Cowley Rd.

Terrace of REGENCY HOUSES

African restaurant and Ethiopian café

Back to the tour 

You are entering the VASSAL ROAD  Conservation  Area.  And welcome to KENNINGTON!

In 1701 the manor on which these buildings were constructed was let to Sir Stephen Fox, father of the First Baron Holland of Foxley and grandfather of Charles James Fox, noted Whig politician and anti-slavery campaigner. Various members of the family retained the leases until the early-twentieth century. A terrace of early to mid-nineteenth century houses with basements, ornamental cast-iron balconies on the first floor, and steps up to the front doors over the basement areas.

ST.JOHN’S THE DIVINE CHURCH

1871-74. GEORGE EDMUND STREET. Decorated Gothic. Red brick and stone parapets, dressings in windows and doorways.

260 ft. Spire, tallest in S.London. According to BETJEMAN the most magnificent church in S.Ldn.

GEORGE FREDERICK BODLEY (WATTS AND  CO) did the highly decorated interiors, typical of an ANGLO-CATHOLIC church.

Stone carvings by TH.EARP, wrought iron altar railings, stained glass, carved remedís (CLAYTON and bell), 1875 organ

Everything had to be heavily restored after WW2.

1986 BRIAN THOMAS MURALS.

KOREAN ICON

KELHAM CROSS

Anglican Parish, Arch-Diocese of Southwark. Since it’s f. an Anglican High Church. Typical of poorer parishes, Reverend Ch.Edw. BROOKE was affiliated to the OXFORD MOVEMENT. Characterised for ritualistic practices (limited by 1874 Public Worship Regulations Act, though).

Still now an Annglo-Catholic ch. that emphasised sacraments and liturgy, uses incense, mass is said daily.

The liturgy follows the 2000 Common Worship Prayer Book.

Devotional statues, icons, sanctuary lamps, Reserved sacrament.

Finding spiritual comfort in this parish, HANNAH GRIER COOME, named her Anglican order SISTERHOOD OF ST.JOHN THE DIVINE

Tower restored  in 1994.

New grotesques and statues added, representing caricatures of the congregation, the royal family, the clergy.

Over Vassal Road

Foley Road

MEMORIAL PLAQUE to painter DAVID COX

LONDON REMEMBERS says: Landscape painter. Born near Birmingham. Came to London in 1804 as a theatre scenery painter. He was a teacher and wrote some influential instruction books. A very successful water colour painter. Died at home in Birmingham. His son of the same name was also a water-colourist.

KENNINGTON PARK BUSINESS CENTRE, formerly the GENERAL MOTOR CAB COMPANY LTD

Opened in 1905, From here operated 1.500 London taxis. It housed offices and garages for up to 2.000 vehicles. The yellow and red brick and terracotta building included a Museum with a collection of restored taxicabs.

A cooperative undertook repair with facilities for cab owner-drivers.

On the gable was originally ‘General Motor Cab Co.Ltd.’ in art deco lettering. Next to it the archway into the courtyard was similarly lettered. The rest of the building, now the business centre, comprised garaging, washing and repair facilities.

https://vauxhallhistory.org/taxis-in-lambeth/

Over Camberwell New Road

Not far away,

CALVARY CHURCH

Into BOLTON CRESCENT

Into ST.AGNES PLACE

Regeneration and playing fields 

Do not miss the walk, to your right: MURAL

Artists Jack Fawdry Tatham and Tom Scotcher were commissioned to lead the community project by Brandon Tenants Residents Association and Bee Urban.

And a further down…

“Two Piece Reclining”. HENRY MOORE artwork

POWNELL TERRACE

CHARLIE CHAPLIN lived here

ST.AGNES PLACE SQUAT

This was a squatted street which resisted eviction orders for more than 30 years. When a number of derelict houses were scheduled for demolition to extend Kennington Park in 1969, squatters occupied the properties and a High Court injunction prevented the demolition. The street was run by a housing cooperative until 2005, when Lambeth London Borough Council obtained an eviction order. Demolition was completed in 2007.

According to a resident in 2005: "It's evolved into a unique community in London. You can walk in and out of people's houses here. It's a safe street. There's no mugging here. I think there is a lot of things society as a whole could learn from the way we live here."

There were several community projects at St Agnes Place:

  • Housing the homeless
  • A social centre at house #60
  • Free parties[5]
  • Studios for musicians and artists
  • Radio: The street hosted Wireless FM, and a pirate radio station Rasta FM which was raided by Ofcom in October 2005.
  • Rastafari community (at least a third of the residents were Rastafari).
    Bob Marley stayed at the street on several occasions in the 1970s.
  • Rastafari Temple (also known as Negusa Negast)
  • Ethiopian World Federation London headquarters

in 1977 Bob Marley frequently visited the Rastafarian Temple in St Agnes Place, next to the park, while he was in London recording the Exodus album. And it seems that he also enjoyed playing football with friends in the As he did  in BATTERSEA PARK, while living in CHELSEA. See DESTINATION LONDON

KENNINGTON PARK

Kennington Park is a public park in Kennington, south London and lies between Kennington Park Road and St. Agnes Place. It was opened in 1854 on the site of what had been Kennington Common, where the Chartistsgathered for their biggest "monster rally" on 10 April 1848. Soon after this demonstration the common was enclosed and, sponsored by the royal family, made into a public park.

1852 Kennington Common was enclosed. The petition for enclosure was led by the vicar of St. Mark's, aided by the young Prince of Wales. No more gathering or vulgar recreations were allowed without permission. The sacred mound was levelled, the common fenced and landscaped into an urban park. Planted with mostly sapling London Plane trees (which are still living). North and South game pitches are fenced with iron railings (removed during the Second World War).

 

CHARTISTS  (ON CAMERA)

During the CHARTIST MEETING, the first photograph of a crowd taken by William Kilburn probably from the Horns. The daguerrotype negative is now kept by and copyright Queen Elizabeth and is kept in the Royal archives at Windsor Castle.

 

CHARTISTS

1848 10 April. Chartist mass meeting organised by Black Briton and leader of London Chartists William Cuffay. Chartism was a federation of different groups who had agreed on a set of political demands for an inclusive people's democracy. Chartism was the first British national working class organisation. 1848 was known as the Year of Revolutions.

 

Chartist gatherings took place through Spring  1848. Their main demands wer:

-voting rights for all adult men

-secret ballot

-payment for Members of Parliament

The most important rally took place on 10 April. 250.000 people. Main organiser WILL.CUFFAY, elected leader of the London Chartists. “The black man and his party”, that is the way THE TIMES newspaper referred to them. 

WILLIAM CUFFEY (1788-1870)

Father Chatham was a slave from ST.KITTS.  Mother.

Born in GILLINGHAM, apprentice tailor, worked in the High St., moved to London. Married (twice)

He rejected OWENITE TRADE UNIONS. 1834 strike- 10 h. work (8 h in winter). Earnings: 6 s. 5p per day.

Sacked and blacklisted, he helped form the the METROPOLITAN TAILORS CHART. ASSOCIATION.

He became one of the organisers of the CHARTIST RALLY,  belonging though to the radical fact partisan to show physical force.

He was betrayed, arrested and accused of conspiracy, judged and convicted to 21 y. penal TRANSPORTATION to TASMANIA (for the journey, and in recognition of his patriotism and moral,worth the Chartists gave to him BYRONKs collected poetry!). Pardoned after 3 y. he stayed in TAS., worked as a tailor and became involved in politics.

Australian newspapers published his obituary.

Ann heroic figure, the interest for him has been rekindled recently:

BBC and ABC radio

TV show Vict

Exhibition in Parliament, on occasion of the 145th anniversary of the PEOPLE’S CHARTER.

 

BENJAMIN  PROPHETT  and DAVID DUFFY 

2 examples of involvement of BLACK MEN in the Chartist movement, they were arrested and brought to trial before the great RALLY of 1848.

BLACK BEN and DUFFY were both seamen. Duffy was from ST.THOMAS ST.KITTS, and, according to police, a beggar at the MINT, going about without shirt, shoe or stocking. He was arrested after a meeting on 13 March when sectors of the crowd committed looting. He was found guilty of felony for breaking into a dwelling, and stealing watches. 7 years transportation.

PROPHETT found guilty of stealing cigars. 14 years to BERMUDA.

Their convictions were harsher than the ones given to others.

Definitely, they were taking to MILLBANK PRISON (holding place),  then to PRISON HULK (the YORK).

Prophett, after half the sentence was complete, was sent back to England, then held at  NEWGATE,  before being discharged on license.

Park features (clockwise route from ST.AGNES entrance)

An Arts & Craft café

The 1897 Arts & Crafts style refreshment house erected is a rare survival.

 

Initially there was a small café at the rear of Prince Consort Lodge. 1881-88 there was a marquee style café run by Joseph Gatti near the Slade fountain.
It was demolished and this Arts & Crafts 1897 cafe was built, cost £900, designed by the London County Council’s architect’s department.  At one time a Mr Cameron served hot and cold drinks, cakes and biscuits. It was closed in the 1990s and fell into disrepair, but in 2002 Chris Michael ran it until  January 2018.  The new tenants are Dominic and Charlotte from the Sugar Pot. The café re opened in summer 2019 with a pizza oven, during the Covid lockdown, it was takeways only.

 BEE URBAN: THE HIVE

BeeUrban is a social enterprise that aims to work with communities to improve the environment for the benefit of us all. We focus on responsible urban beekeeping, horticulture and community growing.

It’s not just about bees. People are also vital to BeeUrban. Community engagement and volunteering are important to us, as we strive towards providing opportunities to contribute to the locality, inspiring to be creative and reduce social isolation.

 

History Hut

This is where you can see our new history boards! The boards were conceived, researched and designed by an FoKP team, with support from Lambeth Council and Surrey County Cricket Club. We wanted to share with park users some of the fascinating stories about the park and the area that surrounds it. Local MP Florence Eshalomi cut the ribbon and declared the hut open in December 2021.The shelter dates from the 1930s. It is similar to a Victorian shelter in Battersea Park.

OLD ENGLISH GARDEN

At the heart of the park is an award-winning Old English ‘Flower Garden’, recently restored with funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Lambeth Council.

AIR RAID MEMORIAL

The shelter was on the South Field. In GOOGLE EARTH view the grids of the trenches can be seen. 

During World War Two there were shallow trench air raid shelters in the park's south field. On  15 October 1940, the shelters took a direct hit during a raid. It's thought that 104 local people died. But only 48 bodies were recovered. They were buried in Streatham Cemetery – the remainder still lie beneath the park. This was Lambeth’s worst WW2 civilian incident. It was hurriedly covered up to avoid negative propaganda. The tragedy was largely forgotten until a memorial service in 2002 at St Mark’s Church.  

The Friends of Kennington Park through Lambeth’s Opportunities Fund commissioned a permanent memorial. In Caithness stone, designed and carved by local resident Richard Kindersley. Unveiled in 2006 with a service in 2010 for the 70th anniversary.  The daughter of one of the casualties still visits the park each year to lay flowers. There was a small service of commemoration in October 2020 on the 80th anniversary of the tragedy.

THE SLADE FOUNTAIN

 

Now just a marble bowl on several steps, it  was formerly an ornate fountain based on a design exhibited at the Great Exhibition and adapted by Charles Driver of the Royal Institute of Architects, the 500 guineas cost was paid for Felix Slade a local resident, avid art collector and  lawyer who had been left a fortune and after whom the Slade School of Art is named. He left 944 pieces of glass to the British Museum and funded scholarships to Oxbridge.

Only the bowl in Aberdeen red granite and 4 granite steps remain. There were medallions on the bowl with Slade’s monogram and above was a huge bronze vase depicting the Old Testament scene of Jacob and Rebecca,  with Hagar and Ismael in bas relief – stolen in the 1850s.

 

TINWORTH FOUNTAIN

INo longer a fountain, this structure has been in three different locations in the par. From 1869 it was the centre piece in  a sunken garden between Prince Consort lodge and  the Childrens’ playground in the centre of the basket ball court, then it was moved east to the circular rose bed by the table tennis.

The fountain is just a stump now, but it was originally a large ornamental fountain made with unglazed, buff coloured terracotta used by the local firm, Royal Doulton, for making garden ornaments. Designed by John Sparkes, head of Lambeth School of Art, it was exhibited in 1872 at the International Exhibition in Kensington. At the base was a pond, above a bowl with fountain, a central column with a sculpture at the top of a man carrying cross with a woman and chiild. This was called “The pilgrimage of life”, it was donated by Henry Doulton, the sculptor George Tinworth.

Tinworth was born in Walworth in 1843, the son of a Wheelwright. Aged 18 he started evening classes at Lambeth School of Art, 3 years later he entered the Royal Academy and, in 1866, he exhibited his first piece at the RA. He then became resident sculptor at Royal Doulton’s Lambeth factory, his work above the Doulton factory door in Black Prince Road.  Look out for the Doulton stamp.

It now stands by one of the park entrances on the Kennington Road. Over the years the cross on the top was vandalised. The story is that it was bomb damaged in WW2, the bowl was removed and used elsewhere as a jardinière,  so it ceased to be a fountain, the sculpture was lost to vandalism in 1981. It was used as air rifle target practice from the Kennington  Park Estate!  There are some rather botched concrete repairs and specialists have advised that cleaning might do more harm than good.

 

 

MEMORIAL to GEORGE JARRATT VC

PRINCE CONSORT LODGE

Originally built for the Great Exhibition of 1851 (an erected in the yard of the OLD CAVALRY BARRACKS,  where the current ones are) at the command and expense (£458) of the Prince Consort -  Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria - who was President of the Society for improving the condition of the labouring classes.
Designed to the ,then, latest standards, by Henry Rogers, to house 4 families, originally it was going to be a gate lodge at Primrose Hill, but was re-located to Kennington for the new park possibly because of fears following the 1848 Chartist rally that had been held on what was then Kennington Common.

The Era Newspaper of 22 August 1852 wrote: "All doubts and fears, whether the long-talked of improvements of Kennington Common would ever "come to anything" are now set at rest." The necessary Act of Parliament to enclose the Common as pleasure grounds had been passed but "contractors, who, taking advantage of 'ruin's hideous gaps' had, for months past, been raising mountains of rubbish 'Olympus high', are 'warned off', to the great gratification of the inhabitants, who prefer sweet and balmy air to the large supply of pestiferous gases exing from the unsightly heaps of decomposing matter, painful to every sense. The forges of Vulcan are at this moment glowing with hot bars to be hammered into shape for a neat and durable railing.
Directly facing the Horns [tavern] is a spacious hoarding to keep off intruders, while two model houses presented by Prince Albert, as porters' lodges, are erected. Every body remembes the model homes exhibited last year opposite the Crystal Palace.  These are they, and when finished still form a very tasty and appropriate main entrance. ... When the contemplated improvements are completed, Kennington Common will not only be one of the pleasantest wings of the metropolis, but, better still, one of its most healthy lungs".

Access to Prince Consort Lodge was via a central open stair case.  Each home had a lobby, 2 small bedrooms for children, a larger parents bedroom, living room, scullery, WC that flushed from rainwater on the roof, lobby, meat safe, picture rail, plate rack,  linen closet, warm cupboard behind fireplace.
Built of hollow bricks, no plastering was required, they  were cheaper, durable  and kept the houses dry and warm, and better sound proofed. No wood was  used 
84 similar model dwellings were built including  Cowley Gardens, Stepney featured in the 1950s Barbara Windsor film “Sparrows can't sing”, and the CROMWELL BUILDINGS, THE BOROUGH.

Similar ones in Warrington, in, in The Hague  and in St Petersburg.

The building, named Prince Consort Lodge, was modified to house 2 park attendants on the upper floor and the ground floor open to the public, as a cottage museum. In 1859 rear porch was added for a cafe run by the Lodge Keeper’s wife, later the building was used as storage, offices, changing room for sports teams, from 2003 TREES FOR CITIES. Originally there were loos near by – possibly the urinals at the nearby road junction.

 

WAR MEMORIAL

A possible diversion… into the BRANDON ESTATE, WALWORTH and ELEPHANT & CASTLE

Would you like to donate?

I hope you are enjoying the guide!

The  tour is taking you now, in this last stage, toto LBTC base, opposite the IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM