From BRIXTON. More routes and diversions.
To CLAPHAM, to STOCKWELL, to KENNINGTON, to LAMBETH
1. To BRIXTON WINDMILL and CLAPHAM 2. To CLAPHAM alongside FERNDALE ROAD 3. To STOCKWELL (BOWIE’s home) and KENNINGTON 4. To ANGELL TOWN and KENNINGTON
1

Route back to the BRIXTON WINDMILL and CLAPHAM
Alongside FERNDALE ROAD, after THE DEPARTMENT STORE

THE CHOCOLATE MUSEUM

https://www.thechocolatemuseum.co.uk
TINTERN>>>SANDMERE>>>SOLON
KENYON BAPTIST CHURCH

KEPLER>>>PLATO. Cross over ACRE LANE. Alongside STRATHLEVEN
The BIG SPLASH Mural

http://www.stevethomas.info/murals/public.htm
LAMBERT>>>ST.SAVIOUR’S>>>HALLIWELL
BRIXTON WINDMILL

THE ORANGERY

PLOUGH STUDIOS
www.ploughstudios.com
STUDIO VOLTAIRE
https://studiovoltaire.org
CLAPHAM HIGH STREET

Back to CLAPHAM, alongside FERNDALE ROAD and ARISTOTLE RD.
From THE DEPARMENT STORE
CITY OF LONDON ALMSHOUSES
Former LCC SCHOOL OF BUILDING. Now, apartments
>>>ARISTOTLE. Cross over CLAPHAM HIGH STREET

CLAPHAM HIGH ST. LO Station. WINDRUSH LINE


CLAPHAM NORTH. LU Station. NORTHERN LINE

VOLTAIRE>>>CRESSET>>> VENN

Back to STOCKWELL and KENNINGTON
From THE DEPARTMENT STORE

>>>PUTTROSS ROAD
PAPA’S CAFÉ

https://www.papaspark.co.uk/papas-cafe
PAPA’S PARK
DAVID BOWIE was born here and lived here as a kid


DALYELL>>>STANSFIELD
…and his Primary School
DA.YELL
THE MARQUES OF LORNE PH
Cross over STOCKWELL GREEN
ST.ANDREW’S

>>> LINGHAM ST.
HALL
>>>through the COUNCIL ESTATE
THE OLD LAUNDRY

ECOLE DE POLE

>>>cross over STOCKWELL ROAD
A Little Little Portugal

>>>BURNLEY ROAD
VIOLETTE SZABO lived here before joining the S.O.E


https://www.londonremembers.com/memorials/violette-szabo-home
>>>St.Martin’s>>>St.Michael’s>>>Stockwell Park Crescent>>>Stockwell Park Rd.
St.Michael’s Church
LORN>>>BRIXTON RD>>>NORMANDY
CHERRY DOROTHY GRACE HOUSE

EYTHORNE PARK
THE ENDURING TANGERINE TREE

>>>CAWLEY RD>>>VASSAL RD
Small terrace of REGENCY HOUSES
>>>HOLLAND GROVE>>>CHRYSSELL ROAD>>>BOWHILL CL
Earl of Holland Estate?
>>>CRANMER
Former GENERAL MOTOR CAB COMPANY LTD, now KENNINGTON BUSINESS PARK
From Layers of London: “Built by the General Cab Company 1905. The Company was formed in 1907 and 1,500 taxis operated from here. This building was offices and three-storey garages for 2,000 vehicles in a yellow and red brick and terracotta. It included a Museum with a collection of restored taxicabs. A cooperative undertook repair with facilities for cab owner-drivers. “Kennington Park” on the gable was originally ‘General Motor Cab Co.Ltd.’ in art deco lettering. Next to it the archway into the courtyard was similarly lettered. The rest of the building, now the business centre, comprised garaging, washing and repair facilities.
BRIXTON ROAD
Christchurch. VAN GOGH café
GLENSHAW MANSIONS. CHARLES CHAPLIN lived here
https://maps.app.goo.gl/R1aRSfuvZQ25jkdRA
Eritrean/Ethiopian eateries
Nearby
VAN GOGH lived here
SCALABRINI FATHERS AND HOLY REDEMEER CHURCH
>>>PRIMA ROAD
ST.MARK’S CHURCH
Cross over CLAPHAM ROAD
HANOVER GARDENS, Georgian development


>>>KENNINGTON PARK ROAD>>>KENNINGTON ROAD>>>KENNINGTON GREEN
>>>MONTFORD PLACE
BEEFETER DISTILLERY
THE OVAL GASHOLDERS
Cross over >>>COURTENEY, SANCROFT, NEWBURN
DUCHY OF CORNWALL ESTATE in London
>>>BLACK PRINCE ROAD
THE BLACK PRINCE PH
THE SHADY OLD LADY’S GUIDE OF LONDON: “The name refers to the road, which was named after a former lord of the manor. In 1337 Edward III granted the manors of Kennington and Vauxhall and a meadow in Lambeth and Newington to Edward, Earl of Chester and Duke of Cornwall, commonly known as the Black Prince.
The father of Victorian royal magician Evanion (Henry Evans) ran the pub in the 1850's, and as a young man he performed here and very nearly set fire to the building and the pigeons which his father kept there.
The Black Prince Pub featured the infamous fight scene in film Kingsman where Eggsy and his friends drink.

Back to ANGELL TOWN KENNINGTON
Pope’s
Canterbury Cresc.
Wiltshire
LODGE
SISSULU PLACE
ST.JOHN THE EVANGELIST Church
PRIMARY SCHOOL
DORA BOATEMAH MEMORIAL GARDEN
ANGELL TOWN
The first development here came at the beginning of the 19th c. The landowner here was John ANGELL.
Built in the 1970s, as a set of blocks, linked by a decks, walkways and bridges through which robbers and vandals had an easy getaway… It had a reputation of neglect and continued decline, becoming stigmatised as one of worse sink estates in London.
ARCHITECTURAL problems which exacerbated SOCIAL ones had to be removed
So the area was extensively redeveloped from the early 2000s, thanks to the efforts of the local residents (a high degree of participation), and of the community leaders, especially DORA BOATEMAH.
Now, the development has a street format, based on terraced homes, with individual entrances. Unused garages have been transformed into shops and community facilities.
To the West
MAX ROACH PARK
BRIXTON ROAD
BRIXTON CAUSEWAY KENNINGTON COM RUSH COM STREATHAM
Black woman
JONH DUKE HENRY MUNDOX
250 BRIXTON ROAD
WEST INDIAN GAZETTE and W.I.. OBSERVER published
CAMPBELL’S record shop
Normandy Road
CHERRY GROCER HOUSE
Over Loughborough Road
MYATT’S FIELD COMMON PARK
