
To THE CINEMA MUSEUM and ELEPHANT & CASTLE and to the birthplace of CHARLES CHAPLIN (WALWORTH)
THE CINEMA MUSEUM ELEPHANT & CASTLE. South-American eateries WALWORTH. Old SOUTHWARK TOWN HALL EAST STREET MARKET. Birthplace of CHARLES CHAPLIN WALWORTH ROAD Shops and eateries ST.JOHN’S CHURCH, by Sir John Soane SUTHERLAND SQUARE Charming Victorian ARMENS, pie and mash BURGESS PARK. ADDINGTON SQUARE Charming Georgian
THE SHIP PH
ST.MARY’S GARDENS
A rare triangular garden, developed as a square, like a mirror image of WALCOTT SQ. Named after the parish church, in land receive in trust by EDW.WALCOT. 1830s.
WALCOTT SQ.
Here, agricultural land. The main road partitions the property between ST.MARY’S LAMBETH and ST.OLAVE’S SOUTHWARK.
Haberdasher EDWARD WALCOTT donated 30 acres of land to the poor of the Parish of Lambeth, in his 1667
Again, a triangular piece of land developed by differ builders, in the Georgian period. 3 storey terraces of modest houses, .slightly raised-above basements. Stock brick, stucco, black doors, longe casement windows, ornamental cast iron balconette, anthemions.
1 & 64 missing. 68 & 95 highest
The WALCOTT FOUNDATION owns the 0.2 acre garden
BLITZ. New buildings match the old
WILL.HEN.JAMES. Vicar of. RADFORD-ON-AVON.
WILL.HOSKINS.Eng.WLRailw., Trinity Chapel, POPLAR, claimed: BM’s READING ROOM, prof. K’S COLL.
BOUNDARY STONE, predating the building of the estate.
In CH.DKS’s BLEAKHOUSE r.GUPPY lives here in a very commodious.
THE KRAYS (1990). THE WOMAN IN BLACK, ANGEL OF DEATH (2014). FANTASTIC BEASTS (and sequel)
BROOK DRIVE. A brook, here.. a river…? Nah
The source of the river NECKINGER is nearby. The stream formed the boundary between the parishes of Lambeth and Southwark.
The Neckinger's headwaters were on Lambeth Marsh, behind Waterloo stationIt drained St George's Fields, which was wet and sometimes flooded

Short detour
Austral St
Site of the ORPHANS HOME, then Hospital, then IWM Annex, now EPR architects practice

Orphanage
ALL SAINTS HOSP. was f. in 1911 by IRISH surgeon EDW.CANNY RYALL. He improved the operating techniques for treating kidney and bladder disease. Originally at VAUXHALL BRIDGE ROAD (outpatients) and FINCHLEY ROAD.
By 1932had become the largest urology hospital in the UKJoined the NHS, being associated with WESTMINSTER HOSPITAL. Gynaecology wards were open. Urological beds moved to GORDON HOSPITAL. Psychiatry department open
WEST SQUARE

He lived, with mother and SIDNEY here “at the back of Bedlam” at the age of 3. A happy, of short, period, after CHARLIE Sr had deserted the family. HANNAH health and voice were failing though (from 1894 the family occupied more than 50 addresses, ending frequently in the workhouse)
The largest of the plots of ground in ST. GEORGE’S FIELDS belonged to HE BARTELOTE, then, in the 18th c. to the WEST family. In 1791 the Wests granted 99 year leases to THOMAS KENDALL and JAMES HEDGER. By 1794 houses on the NEW of the sq. were completed and occupied. S was b. later, a storey higher. Rectangular door fanlights.
No.36 (E). A 4 storey wooden tower was b.here by the ADMIRALTY, for a shutter telegraph apparatus used to convey messages between WHITEHALL, via NEW CROSS, to CHATHAM and SHEERNESS.
ADM.NELSON had lived here
In no.14 lived ROBERT BARKER: owner of LEICESTER SQ. PANORAMAS. He erected a round wooden building here?. His son lived in no.13.
In no.19. J.A.R.NEWLANDS (1837-98). Born here. He discovered the periodical law for the chemical elements.

The Admiralty shutter telegraph was a line of wooden huts and stations that connected the Admiralty in London to Sheerness and Deal. The system used six shutters to represent letters, numbers, and phrases.
School: CHARLOTTE SHARMAN was a Christian philanthropist who f CHILDREN’S HOMES (see above)
SHIOBAN FAVOES DANCE CENTRE
Site of the new WORKHOUSE
This is the new 1871-3, a workhouse was built by the Lambeth Parish Kennington. Designed by Thomas W Aldwinckle, its foundation stone, RENFREW ROAD, was ceremonially laid on 3rd April, 1871. Along with Madeley in Shropshire, it was one of the earliest pavilion-block workhouse designs built in England.
OSBORNE HOUSE, WATER TOWER
This tower was built in 1867 to supply water to the adjacent Lambeth Workhouse. It lies a short distance south-west of the Elephant and Castle. The whole area was redeveloped in the 21st century and the tower site purchased by Leigh Osborne and Graham Voce in 2011. After removing 2.000 dead pigeons, It was then stunningly converted to residential and remains a spectacular local landmark to this day, having appeared on the TV program Grand Designs.
Future development
THE CINEMA MUSEUM

Former MAGISTRATES COURT
Former POLICE STATION
ELEPHANT AND CASTLE
UNCLE
ONE THE ELEPHANT
STRATA
Site of ST.MARY’s CHURCH and former CHURCHYARD.
Meet the past parishioners
WELCOME TO NEWINGTON
NEWINGTON BUTTS
Cross over KENNINGTON LANE
TOLOUSE-LAUTREC RESTAURANT &JAZZ CLUB, not far away
NEWINGTON ESTATE
A Brit Hotel

Bycicle
THE PULLENS ESTATE
CAFÉ
Manor Place
FORMER PUBLIC BATHS

From this point, the route coincides with the BRIXTON to BERMONDSEY (see chapter
And WELCOME to WALWORTH!
Cross over WALWORTH RD.
Former BROWNING SETTLEMENT
Walcorde Avenue, around the church, Larcom St, Ethel St, Passage, Vansey St
ST.JOHN’s CHURCH
SOUTHWARK WAR MEMORIAL
Former TOWN HALL

Nearby, North
ELEPHANT PARK

Shopping mall
RAILWAY ARCHES. Mostly South-American eateries

South, alongside WALWORTH ROAD
EAST STREET. Charles Chaplin’s Birthplace

Liverpool Grove
ST.JOHN’s CHURCH. Sir John Soane



Cross over to the other side of WALWORTH ROAD
SUTHERLAND SQUARE
PIE & MASH. ARMENTS

BURGESS PARK
ADDINGTON SQUARE
Site of the RICHARDSON gang HQ
CLUBHOUSE CAFÉ
TAGGS COFFEE CO.

From here: to CAMBERWELL and/or PECKHAM

