KENNINGTON to LAMBETH

BUSES TO/FROM CENTRAL LONDON and other DISTRICTS WITHIN THIS GUIDE

KENNINGTON GATE

Here CC meets fellow artist-dancer  HETTY KELLY, an Irish girl who performed with him in the STREATHAM EMPIRE, with the FRED KARNO MUMMING BIRDS. troupe) to take her to a date to the WEST END. He was 19, she was a 15 years old.

 CC would recreate her in some of her female leads in his movies… even if they met only 5 times. Her sister married an American millionaire, a brother became an executive in UNITED ARTIST. And she married a Lieutenant that would go on to become a Sir, then a Baronet… living in MAYFAIR.  However she would die inn1918, victim of Sp.flu

When mother HANNAH discharged the family from the WORKHOUSE, they spent a day in the park eating cherries and playing catch ball.

KENNINGTON PARK ROAD

This is the 57 miles/ 91 km road from London to CHICHESTER. IN a few places it still gets its ANGLO-SAXON  name, STANE STREET.  From Old Norse STEINN.  STAN STRET in 1270.

On the basis of the archeological artefacts found along its route, by 70 AD it was already in use, barely 30 years after the foundation of Londinium. 
Look at a map, make  a straight line from the South abutment of LONDON BRIDGE  to the EAST GATE CHICHESTER and chances are that long stretches  of the A3, the A24, thenA29 and the A285 roads follow the route, although the actual course of the Roman road has been abandoned or is followed by bridle paths.

Site of the H():

ORNS TAVERN & ASSEMBLY 9gROOMS

It used to stand next to the turnpike road, which was created in 1717 to accommodate the volume of traffic on Kennington Park Road. It is unknown when the tavern was built on this site, with one building mentioned in the copy-hold in 1726. Another map in 1745 shows the tavern as the only property on site.
It was reb. 1887. After extensive WW2 damage it was demolished in 1960.
It used to be a meeting, lecture and entertaining place, and, of course, a eating and drinking place.

The Manor Court often met at the Horns Tavern, with the first recorded one in 1767, when it was known as the 'Sign of the Green Man and Horns'.

The SURREY CRICKET CLUB  was f. here

In an upstairs room, CC rehearsed a sketch he had written

Exiting KENSINGTON PARK, and alongside KENNINGTON PARK ROAD

Alongside Ravensdon, Radcot, Methley Streets

THE CAMERA CLUB

The Camera Club is one of the longest-running photographic societies in the world, founded in 1885

METHLEY ST. CHARLIE CHAPLIN lived here

Was this house the basis for 1917 “EASY STREET”?. Or was it the inspiration  for “THE KID”?. Anyway, they portrait. Victorian streets like this one!.

Here the boy CC had a distaste for the smell from the pickle factory and  the slaughterhouse in the vicinity (Bowden Street). It was 1898/99. He was a 10 year old kid.

Here HANNAH (ill and suffering from the depression) began sewin again, and for a while they seemed to be quite happy…until her health took a turn for the worst again and the sewing machine and the garments had to be taken to the PAWN SHOP to obtain some money to pay the rent. No sewing.  No work No money. The family plunged into the chaos. Now, remember the 1916 “THE PAWNSHOP”. 

The GRAND ORDER of WATER RATS!

CC was probably a WATER RAT. The plaque may acknowledge this fact.

Yes, it exists. It is a charity that helps members that have fallen in harder times.

A possible detour… still alongside KENNINGTON PARK ROAD

THE WHITE BEAR PH. And PUB THEATRE

1780. Steeped in history and with a country-pub feeling. And pricey…

A few years ago, this was and edge busy Irish sport pub. The theatre, at the back, felt pretty incongruous.

YOUNG’S bought it in 2012, relaunched it and…failed. Then, overhauled again, looking huge,  including a garden, and 2 dining rooms occupy the theatre area. Now the theatre is on the first floor.

White bears, in London?

The white bear of Henry III was given to King Henry III of England by King Haakon IV of Norway in 1252. Its exact identity is not certain, but it was most likely a polar bear. Henry housed the bear at his Royal Menagerie in the Tower of London. It was exercised in the tower grounds and, following an order by the king in 1253, allowed to swim in the River Thames. The bear was a popular attraction in the city, and later monarchs also kept similar bears.

Into CLEAVER SQ.

CITY AND GUILDS OF LONDON ART SCHOOL

F. in 1854 as LAMBETH SCHOOL OF ART

National School in St. Mary the Less

St.Oswald place (Millers Lane), Vauxhall Gardens

Mostly Georgian CLEAVER SQUARE

A typical London garden-square of the type you see in the West End or in  Chelsea or Knightbridge, since the 17th to 18th centuries. In generals: No through traffic, gravelled o paved, and planted with trees, enclosed with railings, private to residents…

This was the earliest square to be devised South of the Thames, when fields, meadows and hedgerows formed the landscape… maybe the grounds of the BLACK PRINCE PALACE occupied this land (a royal palace here?. Well, you are in Kennington, it sounds something like “king’s town”…).

 

Bridges were built from the 18th c… Soon building leases would be granted from Parliament.

Here, the WHITE BEAR FIELD, was inherited by MARY CLEVER, in 1743. All still open pastures beside the high road. And MARY leased to to the landlord of the HORNS TAVERN (remember THOMAS ELLIS?), who from 1780 developed the area.

The main builders?: Messes SEARLES and PRINCE.

Two 1788 terraces flank the entrance from KEN.PARK RD. (PRINCES PLACE).

Thr first houses in the square date from 1789. PRINCES SQUARE (old name) had 40 houses according to 1799 HARWOOD MAP, More houses were b. In the periods 1815-24 and 44-53. The houses you see now have mostly refaced.

The PRINCE OF WALES PH dates from 1901.
What used to be a fashion place went into decline, and overcrowding: in 1881’s  

CENSUS appear 481 residents. In 3 of the houses you find up to 14 people!.

In fact, the council planned to demolish completely the area at the turn of the 19th c.  Now, one of these houses are worth up to £1 mil.

Nos.34-41 have the most interesting interiors, less refronting.
In 1937 the name was changed.

 

THE PRINCE OF WALES PH

Cleaver Street

Former COUNTY COURT 

At the corner with the main road KENNINGTON LANE

THE TOMMYFIED PH

CC writes in his autobiography of a night when he was locked out of the family room and listened all night to the music in the newly opened White Hart pub, now The Tommyfield. Was his dad playing here?.

CC was sent to the cookshop next door to buy corned beef.

2010. Opened, after refurbishment, by THREE CHEERS PUB CO.

2014. Boutique bedrooms.

Gigs in pubs is not something new… Gigs?

Here’s why touring musicians travel nowadays…

 

In  CC times , musicians travelling from one venue to the other in order to perform used GIGS!

“Erected A.J.AVERY 1897”

The former WHITE HART, managed by ALEXANDER AVERY in 1899.

Why not taking a bit of time getting to know the area?. You are in KENNINGTON CROSS now

Follow a sort of a anti-clockwise walk from the TOMMYFIELD and the LIBRARY

See the crowned stink pipe?

Great stink of London 1855>building of the new sewage system: the Embankments.

A method to divert the foul smells of sewage was elevating the odours from the sewers above the sensitive Victorian noses.

And the Public Toilets?

The men's public convenience, which had been built opposite in 1898, is now preserved as an arts venue and is likely to have been used by a young Charlie Chaplin.

Derelict for a time, then became an art gallery.

DURNING LIBRARY

1889. Gothic Revival. Arch.SIDNEY RJ SMITH (TATE BRITAIN building), for JEMIMA DURNING SMITH, daughter of a well established LIVERPOOL family, and married JB SMITH, Manchester cotton merchant, LIBERAL, MP , Chairman of the Manc. CHA.OF COMMERCE, chairman of the ANTI-CORN LAW. They lived in ASCOT. Buried in KENSAL GREEN CEMET.

She founded as well the ASCOT-DURNING LIBRARY

One of her sisters married EDWIN LAWENCE, a BACONIAN enthusiast.

Jemima and EDWIN founded and offered this one to the people of Kennington.

THE DOG HOUSE PH

Voted, a few years ago, best pub in the Ken./Oval area.

With a wedge shaped interior, there is a function room upstairs, an arty ramshackle of mismatched furniture and paintings.

Morrisey and Steve Lamacq used to be regulars

CHESTER WAY. CC lived here

“1901 April 14 Chester Street (Way), Charlie with mother in 2 rooms over Frederick Clarke, barber (demolished and replaced by mansion block in 1938). Neighbours include Francis Healey greengrocer, at no. 27, and Edward Ash, grocer, at no. 18, and Albert Mummery, undertaker, at no. 34.

1901 April: Sydney joins Union Castle Mail Steamship company.

1901 May: Chaplin’s father dies of alcohol related illness. 

267 KENNINGTON ROAD. WILLIAM JACKSON lived here

At Christmas 1898, four months short of his tenth birthday, young Charles Chaplin's life changed dramatically. He became a professional stage artist. Thanks to his father's professional connections, he ended his school days and  he joined a troupe of juvenile clog dancers, The Eight Lancashire Lads, created and managed by a former teacher, John William Jackson. 

After a few weeks training, he quickly picked up the dance routines; and with other boys was already thinking up new acts of his own. At Christmas 1900, the Lancashire Lads were engaged to play animals in the kitchen scene of the pantomime Cinderella, the second half of the bill at the spectacular new LONDON HIPPODROME. Here Chaplin, dressed as a cat, had his first opportunity to make people laugh.
He afterwards spoke of the great impression made upon him by the young comedy star of the pantomime, the Spanish-born clown Marceline (1873-1927).

287 KENNINGTON ROAD. CHARLES CHAPLIN lived here

The plaque says something incorrect: CC died in 1977. And we are not completely sure he lived in THIS house.

Here, CC lodged with a Sidney, and his father who, at that time was with girlfriend Louise, who was reluctant, and her son.

HANNAH was unable to support the family, and she was institutionalised in CANE HILL ASYLUM. In other occasions she had to take CC and brother Sydney to another Kennington landmark the old Lambeth Workhouse now the home of the Cinema Museum (see DIVERSION to CINEMA MUSEUM chapter).

CC recalls in his autobiography his Sunday excursions along the KENNINGTON ROAD, dressed in their best clothes.

”I had only seen twice in my life. The prospect of living with him was exciting”.

They had meet on stage once. An then walking on the KENNINGTON ROAD… Charles Senior was walking with a lady: “I watched him, knowing instinctively he was my father. He beckoned me to him and asked my name… “I feigned innocence, and replied: CC…”Then he gave me half a Crown… “I ran home and told mother…

Charles Sr. was an alcoholic and died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1901, at the age of 37.

Family was important to CC. In business, Sidney: he acted wisely on his behalf. Mother, he idolised her. He even felt he had a relationship with father.

KENNINGTON ROAD

1751. Built by the TURNPIKE TRUSTEES. 1 mile from WESTMINSTER BRIDGE ROAD.

It became the route used by  the PRINCE REGENT (King GIV) for his excursions to he popular resort of BRIGHTON. It thus became a very sought after place to live.

Now, the London to Brighton VETERAN CAR RUN and bike ride.

 

When it entered into decline a few music hall artists came to live here.

WALCOTT PLACE EAST. FELIX SLADE

No. 395 IVY COTTAGE. VAN GOGH, 1874-75

155. Born here RAY ELLINGTON

143.VICTORIA DRUMMOND. UK firs qualified marine engineer

126. Brian Little Legs Clifford. Murdered. fbht

JOHN ROUGHTON successful pugilist

JOHN BALDWIN BUCKSTONE, actor, dramatist and manager at HAYMARKET

THE BLACK PRINCE PUB

ST.ANSELM’S CHURCH

B. 1932|33. STANLEY DAVENPORT ADSHEAD and STANLEY CHURCHILL RAMSEY

“A barn-like church” (a Covent Garden expression). The shape of a small basilica, line a very early Christian Church. In fact built on foundations of a previously projected church, intended as a much grander and domed church, stopped dur the outbreak of WW1.

The door tympanum had an orientalising style. By sculptor ALFRED GERRARD (designer of the windows of the LT ST.JAMES’S PARK HQ, and ED. PAOLOZZI’s teacher. Some sculpture in roundels and capitals.

The FONT (Christ and two angels) is by DERRICK FRITH.

Site of KENNINGTON, a royal palace.Plaque on EDINBOROUGH  HOUSE

A land of kings?

Kennington appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Chenintune. It is recorded as Kenintone in 1229 and Kenyngton in 1263. Mills (2001) believes the name to be Old English meaning "farmstead or estate associated with a man called Cēna". Another explanation is that it means "place of the King", or "town of the King".

Until ~1050 LAMBETH MANOR was divided in parts.
The central part KENNINGTON was granted to THEODORIC THE GOLDSMITH.

It finally reverted to the crown.

From king to prince

EDWARD III gave the manor of Kennington to his eldest son EDWARD OF WOODSTOCK,  the Black Prince in 1337, and the prince then built a large royal palace in the triangle formed by the modern streets: Kennington Lane, Sancroft Street and Cardigan Street, near to Kennington Cross.
First, a Hall, a Prince’s Chamber, and other chambers. In the following decades, a new Hall, a wardrobe, kitchens, bake house, pastry cook house.  The hall (and undercroft) in stone, was 88ft x 53ft. The Prince’s Chamber was pretty big (up to 3 storeys). 
This became a country residence… away from politics (?).
In 1377, according to John Stow, John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster came to Kennington to escape the fury of the people of London.
Geoffrey Chaucer was employed at Kennington as Clerk of Works in 1389. He was paid 2 shillings.
Kennington was the occasional residence of Henry IV and Henry VI. Henry VII was at Kennington before his coronation.
Catherine of Aragon stayed at Kennington Palace in 1501. In 1531, at the order of King Henry VIII, most of Kennington Palace was dismantled, and the materials were used in the construction of the Palace of Whitehall.

 

Diamond Geezer reports "... the triangle of land bounded by Kennington Lane, Cardigan Street and Sancroft Street remains under the control of the Duchy of Cornwall to this day ..". Although the majority  of the houses were sold to LQ housing association and developers, in 1990 but the Duchy still directly owns 23 houses and 16 flats.

In total, in England, the Duchy holds 550 km2. 50% of the land is in DARTMOOR, DEVON. As well in HEREFORDSHIRE, SOMERSET, ISLES OF SCILLY (al ost all the territory). 2% of the land is actually in CORNWALL.

farming, commercial, residential use.Investment portfolio.

The 1838 Act establishes that the accounts of the D/C require Treasury supervision and have to be presente in Parliament.

The D/C acts as a PORT AUTHORITY for the main harbour of the ISLES OF SCILLY.

L&Q

OVAL, still owned by the Duchy

Armorials

The old royal manor of Kennington. The DUCHY  OF  CORNWALL uses the arms based on those of RICHARD OF CORNWALL.

Armas: sable. 15 bezants (gold roundels, originally Byzantine gold coins)

Supporters: 2 Cornish Clough (birds)

Motto: Houmont/Homout, meaning courage

Was the Black Prince  actually black?

Edward The Black Prince (born June 15, 1330, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, Eng.—died June 8, 1376, Westminster, near London) was the son and heir apparent of Edward III of England and one of the outstanding commanders during the Hundred Years’ War, winning his major victory at the Battle of Poitiers(1356). His sobriquet, said to have come from his wearing black armour, has no contemporary justification and is found first in Richard Grafton’sChronicle of England (1568).

So…you are now on the DUCHY ESTATE

The buildings you see now were built were built at the turn of the 20th century and In the 1930s.

During WW1 the DCE set out to improve the area, and a group of architects was mustered: STANLEY DAVENPORT, ADSHEAD, STANLEY CHURCHILL RAMSAY, JD COLERIDGE. New streets were laid out: COURTENAY, CARDIGAN, DENNY and tried to create a perfect urban experience, in a NEO-GEORGIAN STYLE.

The Duchy of Cornwall continued to redevelop its estate in the district and employed architect LOUIS DE SOISSONS to design a number of buildings still in a Neo-Georgian style.

The buildings here are mostly subject to preservation orders.

The houses have mostly weathered well. Yellow brick, quaint touches like Regency porches, parapets hiding the tiled roofs, sash or casement windows, curved bars to windows and porticoes. It is as if you were in a small spa town landed amid the South London bustle

Some Princes of Wales (and Dukes of Cornwall) like Georgian

EDWARD, future KING EDWARD VIII) was the PW/DC during the interwar years. His tastes anticipated those of the longest serving ever PW/DC, now King Charles. His favourite architect is QUINLAN TERRY

WOODSTOCK COURT. Almshouses

Woodstock Court was designed by Stanley Davenport Adshead and Stanley Churchill Ramsay in 1914. “This building was erected in 1914 by HRH Edward Prince of Wales…” 

QUINLAN TERRY

The D/C in our days?. What about the current DUKE?

The D/C is a title only bestowed to the eldest son of the monarch, only, male heirs. No women can apply! ( the 2013 Succession to the Crown Act does not affect).

The holder cannot sell assets for his personal benefit, and has limited rights and income. The Duchy Council advise him. He is exempt of paying corporations tax. Since 1993 voluntarily pays income tax.

The current holder, so the LORD OF THE MANOR OF KENNINGTON, is WILLIAM,PRINCE OF WALES. King Charles, past P/W, D/C is now DUKE OF LANCASTER, another royal duchy,in this case held by the monarch in a personal capacity.

 

 

DUCHY ORIGINALS

Duchy Originals Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the KING’S CHARITABLE FUND was set up as a company by the then Prince of Wales in 1990, and is one of the largest organic food brands in the UK. Duchy Originals focuses on good food, good farming and good causes in a 'virtuous circle'. The Duchy Organics range is sold exclusively through WaitroseEach year, the royalties from the range are donated to PWCF and distributed to not-for-profit organisations through grants programmes. In 2019, Duchy Originals donated £3.4 million to PWCF.

Former VESTRY HALL

1853. Built here, on the site of a pond, to replace older (1807) vestry buildings, in CHURCH STREET. Arch. Messrs.WILTSHIRE and PARRIS.

The parish Vestry became the TOWN HALL for the METROPOLITAN BOROUGH OF LAMBETH, from 1900.
Kennington ceased to be the administrative centre for the
Metropolitan Borough in 1908, as this building was not large enough for the Council to properly carry out its functions and a new town hall was built in Brixton. 

The Old Town Hall was the registered office of the Countryside Alliance until September 2015.

HQ of WAIFS & STRAYS - CHILDRENKS SOCIETY

Site of PLAGUE HOUSES 


They were used as mortuary for victims of the GREAT PLAGUE 1665.

A taylor and a turner had premises here, before demolition, at the end of the 19th c. 

IMPERIAL COURT

Its origins lie in the creation in 1794 of the Friendly Society of Licensed Victuallers which was established to educate the children of publicans affected by long term illness, incapacity, or poverty. The original school  (KENNINGTON HOUSE and adjacent houses) was demolished in 1835 and the current neo-classical building was erected the following year after a design by H & E Rose.
In 1921 the school moved to Slough, when the area became industrialised and the school lost its “wholesome and airy environment “. 
Now, since 1989,  the LICENSED TRADE CHARITY runs the LICENSED VICTUALLERS SCHOOL (an independent one, 4-18 years, where the parents who work in the Lincensed trade receive a 20% discount), in ASCOT. 
Imperial Court became the HQ of the 
Navy, Army, and Air Forces Institutes, or ‘NAAFI’ which was formed by the Govt. (CHRCHILL was WAR SECRETARY) to provide catering  goods, services and recreational activities for the British Armed Forces and their families posted overseas. Clubs, bars, cafés, restaurants, shops, supermarkets, launderettes…canteens on board of ships. Officers were supposed to use messes.

In 1980 the building became Grade II listed and in 1992 the NAAFI moved out and the inevitable happened: it became flats.

Around this area you have a couple of interesting attractions…

(they have been dealt with in Chapter 1)

BEEFEATER DISTILLERY

OVAL CRICKET GROUND

GASWORKS art gallery 

Shops and eateries alongside Windmill Row and Kennington Road

Back to the original route of the tour!. 
After Milverton Street, a right turn, cross over Kennington Road, into Windmill Row, over  into Courtenay Street, go round Courtenay Square…

You are now entering The DUCHY OF CORNWALL ESTATE

Stables Way

Sancroft Road

Site of CHARLES CHAPLIN school

CHAPLIN attended school in Sancroft Street (building gone) while living in 287 Kennington Road

 

Back to 74 Kennington Road

A diversion of the official route, alongside Sancroft Street, Newburn Street, Black Prince Road and Lambeth Walk

THE DUCHY ARMS PH

NEWQUAY HOUSE 

Part of the L . DE SOISSONS’s 1930s redevelopment. Typical Inter wars walk up flat blocks.

There is no central heating nor insulation, so cold and expensive to heat flats. And very cramped and not suited for modern families. Bathrooms with no basin.Stairways, a source of crime.

But it became a close-knit community, with whole extended families living in different flats.

HUNT THOMPSON ASSOC. feasibility study for modernisation, giving tenants a say. Better acces, older people, maisonettes created, new open balconies.

ALMSHOUSES

This building was erected in 1914 by HRH Edward Prince of Wales to provide accommodation for old tenants of the Duchy of Cornwall.

BEAUFOY INSTITUTE

1907. Edwardian red brick and terracotta. Arch. POWELL. 1930s extension.

Founding stone laid down by MILDRED SCOTT BEAUFOY, wife of the chair of governors.

H. BEAUFOY, distiller and vinegar manufacturer built the RAGGED SCHOOL in NEWPORT ST. it later became, here, a technical school.

Taken over by Lambeth Council. Later sold to a BUDDHIST group.

During WW2 a munitions factory operated here staffed by women.

Some of the decorative elements on this building are probably by the nearby firm of Doulton. From its beginning John Doulton (1793 – 1873) was on the board of trustees for the Ragged School and there were still Doultons on the board when the school moved. "Research has suggested that {this building} was a test site for 'Cockrill-Doulton Patent Tiles'...".

- minor features and bays around the doorway

- festoons of flowers between cartouches

- moulded tiles with a leafy design

- ARTS & CRAFTS lettering

- Cartouches on gables

SCULPTURE  by SAMUEL NIXON (moved from the previous building):

- standing teacher in classical robes pointing  to some lesson in her book, held by a child, and older child hand on heart

- shirft wearing  young kid

- ragged shirt and trousers, are the clothing worn by the older kid. Both barefoot 

- flaming torch

See the heraldic symbol of the family, a symmetrical tree in full leaf.

BUDDHIST  TEMPLE

LAMBETH BOROUGH GATES

Lambeth Council’s first 4 tenement blocks of council housing were built on Princes Road (now Black Prince Road) in 1927, replacing a workhouse. Two of the blocks were demolished after WW2 (we would have guessed bomb damage, but see below) and the site turned into open space, leaving just these handsome gates. The 2 remaining blocks are Sullivan House and Deacon House - either side of the gates.

2017: Via Facebook Edmund Bird and Steve Lane informed us that the blocks were not damaged during the war at all. It was in the 70s that Lambeth Council demolished Severne House and Gregory House on Black Prince Road “to reduce housing densities”, apparently with no intention of redevelopment - unusual behaviour.

Site of the FIRST LAMBETH WORKHOUSE

Alongside Kennington Road

No. 287 CHARLES CHAPLIN (see above)

Former REGAL, then GRANADA CINEMA. Now TESCO

THE SHIP PH

Diversion from here, towards THE CINEMA MUSEUM, ELEPHANT & CASTLE, and WALWORTH.
See next chapter

WALCOTT GARDENS

The McCarthys (family friends) lived in Walcott Mansions (now Gardens). CC would play theatres with son Wally after school and stay for supper

THE TANKARD PH 

The London pub where drinkers cruelly used to go so they could watch the 'insane' at a mental hospital on the other side of the road

It reverted recently to its original name from 1825, owned by CRAFT BEER PUBS, BREWEDOG

This is an old-school boozer, which once overlooked the grounds of the infamous asylum for the insane, the ROYAL HOSPITAL OF ST.MARY OF BETHLEM  (shorted Bethlem Hospital, and corrupted when pronounced as BEDLAM).

And was frequented by a young Charlie Chaplin, sent in by his mum to fetch his music-hall-performing pop from the bar. It used to be around this pub where CC watched 'the elite of vaudeville' on Sundays

Want to know more?. GOOGLE this: “the curious origin of english words”

The former R.H. of St.M.of B., today the IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM

Bedlam Estate:  see the STAR of Bethlehem?

IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM

BERLIN WALL

MEMORIAL TO SOVIET SOLDIERS

THE THREE STAGS PH

It was where CC saw his father for the last time

Former CENTURY HOUSE, MI6 HQ, now PERSPECTIVE BUILDING (apartments)

After 21 years in service as the headquarters of SIS, Century House was described as "irredeemably insecure" in a 1985 National Audit Office (NAO) report with several security concerns raised. Chief among those concerns was that the building was made largely of glass, and had a petrol station at its base.[2]The Secret Intelligence Service moved its headquarters to Vauxhall Cross in 1994[3] and the Century House building was refurbished and converted into the residential Perspective Building, designed by Assael Architecture in 2001.[4]

Welcome back to 74 Kennington Rd.!

74 Kennington Road?. LAMBETH TOWERS, a“Brutalist” apartment building…

The Post Office Guide for 1902 has an entry for Lambeth Corporation Baths at the junction of Lambeth Road and Kennington Road. They were built in 1897 and operated until 4 January 1945 when they received a direct hit from a V2 rocket. Thirty-seven people were killed in Lambeth’s worst incident of the Second World War.

Following the V2 bomb incident in 1945, the Lambeth Road/Kennington Road corner site was redeveloped and in 1972 Lambeth Towers was erected on the site. A new Lambeth Baths was built at No. 1 Lambeth Walk, which we understand housed individual baths and laundry facilities but no public swimming pool. After many years of decline and neglect, the baths were converted in the 1990s into a doctors surgery and a teaching unit for King’s College Hospital.

You can extend your ride or walk, still alongside Kennington Road…

Former LAMBETH  TRUSTEE SAVINGS BANK

The first TSB opened in 1810. Within a few years others had been f. over the country, with the aim of encouraging regular weekly savings by the poor. Y the provision of a safe place pf deposit and the payment of interest.
1818. The first meeting of the committee to discuss the formation in Lambeth, under the chairmanship of Rector Wordsworth. In the second meeting the decision was taken to open the BANK in the Parish School common room, for 2 hours twice weekly. The Directors would attend to receive money. Mr. EVERILL, schoolmaster, appo.Secretary. In 1827 an accountant (actuary) app.

It moved to 80 HERCULES ROAD when L&SWRway was extended to Waterloo. And finally here 1902 thanks to a new railway extension. Op. by ARCHBISHOP DAVIDSON, Chairman.

1916.After an amalgamation, the LONDON SAINGS BANK was formed. 

After merger, London TSB, and later merged with SE TSB..

Became part of a larger TSB org

Here and in ACRE LANE,  BRIXTON, still in operation in 1985

 

Nos.53-57 Beautiful building…

1790s. On Archbishop of Canterbury estate.

Stock brick.

Window wide with a bowed front. Deep stuccoed reveal under lintel.

Gauged brick arches.

55. Cornice head and plain fanlight under round brick arch with impost blocks.

57. Round architrave on narrow pilasters in stucco panel. Cast iron balconies.

Sash windows replaced. 

 

Site of WELLINGTON MILLS,  BLACK LEAD WORKS, now housing (Co-operative)

“St.James”?

LINCOLN MEMORIAL TOWER

In memory of the American President and his EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION. By Reverend CHRISTIAN NEWMAN HALL, a NON-CONFORMIST active in social causes, who supported the CHARTISTS (“COME TO JESUS”, 1848).

London Remembers: “The pastor Christopher Newman Hall had lectured and written extensively in support of Abraham Lincoln {murdered in 1865} and the abolition of slavery during the American Civil War. The Lincoln Tower was opened on 4 July 1876, the centenary of American independence. The foundation stone had been laid two years earlier, on 9 July 1874, by the American ambassador, His Excellency General Schenk. The two main rooms in the tower were named the Washington and the Wilberforce. ..."

CHRISTCHURCH. OASIS CHURCH

Originally, a CONGREGATIONALIST church, built to replace the Surrey Chapel (Blackfriars Road), a very popular venue (religious, educational, charity). Here, a grand project: chapel, lecture hall, school.

The Victorian Christ Church was bombed during World War II, and only the adjoining Lincoln Memorial Tower remains. The original foundation stone of Newman Hall's Christ Church was salvaged after the war, and has been placed at the foot of the nearby Tower on Westminster Bridge Road.Rebuilt 1960.

Now, associated  with OASIS TRUST (f.1985, 4 continents, 11 countries).  
Here, in “WATERLOO”: Primary & Secondary School, adult education, food bank, library, cafe, youth projects, city farm

THE HERCULES PH

Site of HERCULES HALL

The home of PHILIP ASTLEY, a riding instructor and horse trainer, acknowledged as the CREATOR of modern circus.

ASTLEY’S AMPHITHEATRE was in 225 WESTMISNTER BRIDGE ROAD (now part of the ST.THOMAS’ HOSPITAL precinct).

Bis first circus was in an open field behind ST.JOHN’S Church WATERLOO ROAD (see plaque at the Western end of ROUPELL ST.)

THE PINEAPPLE

Henry Finch laid the pub's foundation stone on 17th May 1870.

The pub's current name, The Pineapple, probably honours the memory of Royal Gardeners John Tradescant (c. 1570-1638) and his son, John (1608-1662), who are believed to be the first to have cultivated pineapples in England.

Site of WILLIAM BLAKE’s house

“Mr.Blake Engraver, Hercules Buildings, Westminster Bridge”.

Painter, printmaker, poet, visionartist

William Blake celebration: MOSAICS

LAMBETH ROAD.“PASSPORT TO PIMLICO”

LAMBETH NORTH LU Station

The least-used station in Zone 1.

The line's name is a portmanteau of its original name, the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway. A journalist for the London Evening News used the term "Bakerloo" in a newspaper column shortly after the line opened in 1906. The name caught on and by 1908 it was being used on maps. In July 1906, the official name was changed to match the nickname. 
The Bakerloo line, for example, was reportedly born out of a 'desire of a few businessmen in Westminster to get to and from Lords Cricket ground' more quickly, according to Tube History. The idea was that the introduction of the Bakerloo line in 1906 would allow them to see the last few hours of play without having to leave work earlier.

BAYLIS ROAD was OAKLEY ST.

The family lived in a basement room. ChCh remembered being unwell, in bed, with fever, and HANNAH reading the Bible, which moved boy Charlie: Love of Christ for the poor… the most luminous interpretation…I wanted to meet Jesus (die).

WESTMINSTER BRIDGE ROAD

 

Laid out on occasion of the opening of the first WESTMINSTER BRIDGE, on land -LAMBETH MARSH- belonging to the ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY and the CITY OF LONDON.

Former NECROPOLIS  TERMINUS 

Easy to miss, no obvious clues to its past and function.

In 1850 London was bursting. The popular doubled in 50 years. There was simply no space to bury the bodies of deceased. Cremation was still taboo.

The LONDON NECROPOLIS RAILWAY was f. with the idea of transporting dead bodies and accompanying mourners out to SURREY by rail for funerals and burials (

A 23 mile (40 minute) trip to BROOKWOOD CEMETERY, during which the living enjoyesd what was intended to be a “comforting “ view of Green whizzing past RICHMOND PATK and HAMPTON COURT, and so everyone in the party (but one) would have a return ticket back to London… 

The first stations was built where LEAKE STREAT is, but it was transferred here when WATERLOO STA. expanded.

Not everyone was happy. The initiative was received by some with shock and disgust, at the thinking that carriages carrying dead bodies would come at a later time in contact with living commuters… This was solved by the company having its own train stock.

And as the typical concern in Victorian times was that there would be a mix of social classes,  carriages  were separated in termes of social class. And, as well, in terms of religion:  NON-CONFORMISTS had a reserved space.

This railway operated until 1941. It used to run nearly every day, carrying 2.000 bodies a year, at its peak. During that time 203.000peoole were buried in BRIOOWOOD CEMETERY.

In 1904 the RAILWAY MAGAZINE said: “the most peaceful station in the Kingdom”, “the station of the dead”, “a sad station”, “the saddest”, “treading its platforms meant an occasion of grief and pain”.

The grade II listed London Necropolis Railway offices in Westminster Bridge Road are on the market with planning permission for conversion to luxury flats.

THE CROWN AND CUSHION PH

Guinness, Thai food, a secret garden…

Site of GATTI’S -IN-THE-ROAD

Site of CANTERBURY  MUSIC HALL, later CANTERBURY THEATRE OF. ATIETIS.

Ch.Ch had watched his father perform here, and had performed in it himself.

The Canterbury Music Hall was established in 1852 by Charles Morton on the site of a former skittlealley adjacent to the Canterbury Tavern at 143 Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth. It was one of the first purpose-built music halls in London, and "probably the largest and grandest concert-room ever attached to a public house"
It was reb. In 1890 (FRANK MATCHAM), as a 3.000 seat theatre.It became a cinema. Blitz. Finally demolished in 1955.

1877. This theatre was linked with THE QUEEN’S in LONG ACRE, Covent Garden, and bot joined with overhead cables. A demonstration of a “TELEPHONE”  by CROMWELL VARLEY?. In fact the “CYMAPHEN” was a telegraph that coul transmit speech.

“Theatrograph” (ROBERT W.PAUL)

LOWER MARSH. Shops and eateries

THE CAMEL AND ARTICHOKE PH

There are actually a few pubs (maybe 10 or so) across the UK with “artichoke” in its name, but it’s definitely rare. Camel & Artichoke started life as just “the Artichoke” in the late 18th-century (maybe something to do with the route taken by market traders with vegetables like the then-exotic artichoke). At some point, and no one knows why, the London pub became the “Elusive Camel”. Then in 2006 these two names were merged. Case closed.

My favourite Chinese restaurant…

BANKSY TUNNEL

The Leake Street Tunnel - also known as the "Graffiti Tunnel" - - underwent its remarkable transformation in May 2008 when Banksy chose it as the location for the "Cans" festival that saw street artists - headed by Banksy himself - descend into the twilight world of the tunnel, and in a few days, the dark, grimy brick work had been transformed into a profusion of colour.

THE VAULTS 

DUKE OF SUSSEX PH.

Former PUBLIC LIBRARY

The building was completed in 1893, the fourth Lambeth public library to open, and was partly funded by Mr John Noble. Closed in 1967 and replaced by a smaller building in Lower Marsh, it remain empty until the early 1970s, becoming a community centre run by the Waterloo Action Group.

THE OLD VIC THEATRE

THE UNION JACK CLUB

THE WELLINGTON HOTEL and PH 

1901 ARTS CLUB

ST.JOHN’S Church

Former HOSPITAL 

IMAX

WATERLOO STATION

THE NATIONAL WINDRUSH MONUMENT

WATERLOO BRIDGE 

More about the area

I hope you are enjoying this web

Why not supporting ….?